Main Menu

Disciple of Darkness - Extended

Started by Hand_of_Banath, Apr 29, 2016, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand_of_Banath

The feats from the Book of Vile Darkness and the Book of Exalted Deeds are great, but one suggestion I have is to either change Disciple of Darkness or make another feat to Encompass the good aligned Oaths.

Because there are 6 paths one can take to pursue servitude to patrons other than the gods.

Scion of Sorrow - Yuggoloths
Thrall to Demon - Demons (duh)
Disciple of Darkness - Archdevils

Knight of Stars - Eladrin
Favored of the Companions - Guardinals
Servant of the Heavens - Celestials

The first three are evil, the second three are good aligned. Now its a waste to add all 6 feats because they are mutually exclusive and they all do exactly the same thing.

So, my suggestion would be to either make DoD represent all 6 or keep DoD for the evil oaths (possibly renamed to something else or given all 3 names like say, Disciple,Thrall or Scion of Evil) and add the other 3 in the form of a feat that requires good alignement. Perhaps called Knight, Servant of Favored of Good.

Mostly the variation would be good for RP purposes, but it could be used as a requirement for any relevant classes added or feats added in the future.

Edge

DoD and TtD are pretty much only in the game to serve as prerequisite feats to Disciple of Mephistopheles and Thrall of Graz'zt, respectively. Since they're tied to two separate classes, combining them is not likely to happen.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Hand_of_Banath

I didn't realise we had TtD aswell, didn't notice it. Could the other feats be added if thats the case?

I realise they are there as a prerequisite feat for those PRC's, but would it be too much trouble to add the extra feats? especially since it allows players to add something to their build that obviously points out their devotion/servitude to something other than a Diety. Which has a significant impact on RP, and I imagine they'd lay the groundwork for other PRC's if they were one day added.

My suggestion for combining the feats was mostly aimed at not adding too many feats. (because I believe there is only so many lines in a .2da and it clutters the feat selection list, and when something can be combined like that, because mechanically they all provide the same benifit, along with being mutally exclusive - ie, you can't take Thrall to Demon then take Disciple of Darkness later, the feats specifically state in their sourcebooks that they are exclusive. All requiring the PC to be of a specific alignment on the good/evil axis. they could be combined and the differences just RPed out. there isn't really a conflict.)

Furthermore, another idea would be to combine all the feats in the way that weapon focus/spell focus is combined. Making them one feat on the feat selection list, that then gives you an option to select each of the specific pacts/oaths/etc. that would also avoid cluttering the list.

Fire Wraith

has some plans to overhaul these I think.

Of course, he'd have to actually finish the hak update for that to mean anything.  :D
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

ladybug

SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Vincent07

The existing Thrall and Disciple Classes are being overhauled with the hak update.   I've already detailed some of my plans for Disciple.

At present I've no plans to alter the prerequisite feats, or add more, unless I was going to add other classes that needed them.     It's just a simple matter of my not having enough time to do the extra work presently.   Perhaps in a future update.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel