Main Menu

Bows and Buff Spells

Started by Nokteronoth, May 20, 2015, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClockworkMayhem

psappho Avatar
Edge Avatar
I'm gonna be honest... got the same problem going here as we do on the Paizo boards. Soon as the number crunching starts spilling out, my eyes cross.
Well, that's what us number crunchers are here for. ;)
I think his point was that when the number crunching starts, it's a pain for him (and probably quite a few others) to follow, and so they don't give the thread the attention that the original poster believes it deserves and hopes it would receive.

That said, I understand why the numbers were included and why they're relevant, but I think the earlier point that was made about bows being a trade off is a fair one - and it's not just safety alone - it's the ability to attack from a distance to strike foes you can't otherwise reach. Less damage, but the advantage of not having to close with a foe you may have trouble reaching, otherwise, and potentially taking out (or softening up) some hardcore spawns before they close with the party. Not to mention that archers, like casters, are better off in groups rather than solo play (not that they shouldn't be allowed to solo, but some classes simply are less viable for that, being, of necessity, sometimes, a squishier build). So comparing bows with swords is a bit unfair. I think a better comparison may well be between archers and casters.

Voice of Kerensky

ClockworkMayhem Avatar
psappho Avatar
Well, that's what us number crunchers are here for. ;)
I think his point was that when the number crunching starts, it's a pain for him (and probably quite a few others) to follow, and so they don't give the thread the attention that the original poster believes it deserves and hopes it would receive.

That said, I understand why the numbers were included and why they're relevant, but I think the earlier point that was made about bows being a trade off is a fair one - and it's not just safety alone - it's the ability to attack from a distance to strike foes you can't otherwise reach. Less damage, but the advantage of not having to close with a foe you may have trouble reaching, otherwise, and potentially taking out (or softening up) some hardcore spawns before they close with the party. Not to mention that archers, like casters, are better off in groups rather than solo play (not that they shouldn't be allowed to solo, but some classes simply are less viable for that, being, of necessity, sometimes, a squishier build). So comparing bows with swords is a bit unfair. I think a better comparison may well be between archers and casters.
Yea, I did point that out. The problem is right now the trade-off is TOO heavy, which is why I was using numbers. Right now, the trade-off is something like 60% damage difference. That's a bit.. harsh. 10-20% would be more reasonable.

Voice of Kerensky

Checking back on this one, given the math and the relative situation bows are in, is there any reason -not- to allow GMW and EMW to affect bows (since this is fixable), or can we look forward to doing this?

Deleted

I believe Vincent already said no to this one, although the argument continued in spite of such.

And, as he said earlier in the thread GMW already is castable on bows, as is Keen.

valiea987

Fun thing I just found out: Elemental buff like Darkfire and the like does work on Throwing Axes. Haven't tried darts, but I'd guess yes.

onivel

valiea987 Avatar
Fun thing I just found out: Elemental buff like Darkfire and the like does work on Throwing Axes. Haven't tried darts, but I'd guess yes.
Yes.. they do... and throwing daggers... my IB uses them all the time. 
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

goodapollo

What the devil is EMW?

Edge

Elemental Weapon. Basically Flame Weapon but with options for Cold, Electric, and Acid damage also. Available for Wizards/Sorcerers and Druids.

Clerics get Darkfire, Dark Ice, Dark Shock, and Dark Corrosion to choose from, though unlike EMW they have to be prepared individually, while EMW just prepares the one spell and picks the element of choice off a radial menu.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda