Main Menu

The 2013 Darwin Award - The results!

Started by Masque, Dec 22, 2013, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edge

Some of these predate 2013 by a lot. I think I first read the "gets a mouthful of sewage while trying to siphon gas from a mobile home" one back in 2006 or so.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Masque

It could potentially be two separate incidents the gentleman that complies these helpfully doesn't link sources. However it would concern me that we live on a planet where that can happen twice by two different people.

Edge

www.darwinawards.com/

This is the "official" Darwin Award site.

A quick Google search turns up the near-exact list you linked above as a Darwin e-mail going around in 2005 according to Snopes

www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/darwin05.asp

Snopes also points out that the majority of your list doesn't qualify as Darwins - a Darwin Award is only awarded when the person doing the stupid thing is punished by death or otherwise removing themselves from the gene pool. The bus story, while hilarious, doesn't get anyone killed or rendered infertile, so it's not a Darwin. Nor is the one about the man in the blizzard murdering the woman who stole his spot. Snopes explains it in more detail.

Regardless, your link is a few years behind the times =) Check out the official site, it's got even more stories and they're equally or even more hilarious.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Masque

I have been deceived but the deception has brought to light even more amusing anecdotes! What an amazing world we seem to live in! Although the stories were people actually die were the more uncomfortable ones on the original list.

Valimar Dragonbane

When I first saw this, my brain did a hack on me.  Read it as "2013 Darvins Award."  Ouch, sorry Darvins. ;)
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen