Main Menu

How does ECL effect the level cap for ascension?

Started by destinysdesire, Mar 22, 2016, 07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinysdesire

Alright so I have a char or two that have an ECL +2, how does this effect the level caps?

Is it 18+2 ECL =20?

or 20+2 ECL for lvl 22?

Im tending to think it more the first, but not 100% on it.
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Misty

Of course you should fight with fire. You should fight everything with fire.
---
There's too many they consumed everything

destinysdesire

Awesome, thank you very much, wanted to be sure so I can plan things around it, as I am getting close!
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Misty

You'll want to plan for being say, 18(20) as well as 28(30) if you have ECL. Assuming you like to plan that far(Far) ahead!
Of course you should fight with fire. You should fight everything with fire.
---
There's too many they consumed everything

destinysdesire

Vincent07

ECL is your "Effective Character Level"  This means, that if you have an ECL of 1, you are considered 1 level higher for -most- things that check your level.  Note, this is different from your Hit-Dice.

As this can get somewhat confusing, I'll break it all down, and explain what things check what levels.

Hit-Dice:

Very simply, this is your total number of class levels.  There are no feat or other modifications to it.  If you are a level 10 fighter, or a level 5 rogue / 5 fighter, or any other combination thereof resulting in a total of 10, you have 10 Hit-Dice.  

Most spells that have some sort of level cap in their effect are looking at hit-dice.  For instance, the spell Sleep  ceases working after a character has more than 5 hit-dice.   The term Hit-dice and level are fairly interchangeable.

The default NWN encounter system also looks at hit-dice when determining what to spawn in the case of scaled encounters.  I try not to use these on CD, but there are some still persisting in old areas.

ECL or Effective Character Level:

Various non-standard races have an ECL modifier.  This is applied because the power of those races is such that they are considered that many levels higher than their Hit-Dice.  The ECL is applied through either a racial or generic feat.  On CD, most ECLs are 4 or less, though the system has enabled feats up to ECL 5, even though only a very small handful of those exist.  We could conceivably go higher, but at this time have no plans to do so.

So how does it work?  Very simply, the ECL modifier is added on to your Hit-Dice.  If you have 10 Hit-Dice, and an ECL of +3, you are effectively level 13.

Anything relating to the XP system will include your ECL.  This means XP received by any means, whether it be from a quest, DM, or combat.  This also includes the various level caps.  If you have an ECL modifier of 2, then you will hit the level 20 ascension cap at 18 class levels, and the final 30 cap at 28 class levels.

The tiered store system, as well as the colour coded loot tiers also take your ECL into account.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

destinysdesire

Awesome explanation, thanks for the break down Vince!!