Main Menu

Destiny

Started by The Red Mage, Sep 17, 2014, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthweasel

Garage Trashcan Avatar
onivel Avatar
My only console is a Wii that I bought for the kids and to play Zelda  ;)

I'll have to wait and see if they release a PC version. Currently not one officially in production. I did talk my coworker into buying the game for her hubby though so he owes me one.
They've expressed interest, we'll probably have it sometime next year.

My roommate's friend got him the PS3 version, so I'll be dicking around with that.
If the PS version is anything like the XBOX you can mix PS3 and PS4 players. I bought it digitally for the 360 and it gave me a X box one copy as well and my character roster is on both versions.

Ogre Time Yay

I'm also waiting until this game hits PC, it looks promising though.

The Red Mage

You can't play with one another through xbone/360 ps3/ps4. You keep your roster, but you can't party up with people on a newer or older gen system. I've tried. =(

Garage Trashcan

darthweasel Avatar
Garage Trashcan Avatar
They've expressed interest, we'll probably have it sometime next year.

My roommate's friend got him the PS3 version, so I'll be dicking around with that.
If the PS version is anything like the XBOX you can mix PS3 and PS4 players. I bought it digitally for the 360 and it gave me a X box one copy as well and my character roster is on both versions.
Yeah, what Red Mage said. Since your characters are bound to your Gamertag/PSN, you can play on either server, but there is not cross-server play.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

darthweasel

On my own personal view of the game.

I really enjoyed the main game. Unfortunately it was too short. To me it feels like a solid entry into a planned movie trilogy where a great set up is given. The whole concept of "The game really begins" once you finish it has always been a cop out in my mind. Right now I would call it a 7.75 out of 10 (which will probably rise once the game gets some planned expansions)

Garage Trashcan

Well, all of the Halo games were roughly 10 hours long (same developer) so the length makes sense. I hit level 20 in about 11, which could have been faster more than likely (my guess is someone only focused on XP is probably about 6-8 hours to hit 20).

I wish there were more zones on each planet. One zone doesn't seem like enough, and it makes the content pool feel smaller than it actually is (which is already small).

I wish there was an actual map. Nav mode is great for going between objectives while continuing to move, but for people who haven't memorized everything, it's hard to get a point of reference for where you are compared to everything else. Sure, there's recognizable landmarks and if I see them I generally know where I am, but a lot of the maps have tunnels/doorways to get between different sections of them and it's not always easy to tell how to get somewhere.

While some things with the game have been executed well, others haven't. The advancement/FPSRPG stuff is nice class-wise, but weapon-wise there doesn't seem to be any scaling at all. If you go into a lower-level mission or area, you're down-scaled so you don't straight up one-shot things, even though your weapon has 4x the damage, which can be great for playing with friends... but if you fight things your level, you're doing basically the same damage. HP doesn't change (except for maybe in higher difficulties), just mob density and armor. HP seems to be incredibly consistent for pretty much everything, since player HP never changes. It just seems silly that I'm doing marginally more damage at level 20 than I was at level 5 to much higher leveled monsters...their armor is just % reducing it. Since they went with this model, I'd rather they just didn't show damage numbers, because it leaves me unsatisfied. Does it really matter? No, but seeing huge numbers on mobs with huge HP pools shows you that something has actually changed--both you and the things you're fighting have gotten stronger. The way it's implemented now makes it feel like nothing has really changed but you got some new abilities.

And Weasel, keep in mind that it is balanced like an MMO so the endgame sort of is the game. You don't play for story, you play it for gear. I'm also typically not a fan of this style, but a few games do it very well. Typically things where there's lots of smashing (Diablo 3, Neverwinter, ME3 Multiplayer).

The Red Mage

You essentially just gain more utility and options when you level instead of initiating a potential power creep problem out the gate. I'm optimistic that with patches and expansions, the world building of this game has near limitless potential for content.

I also don't like that there isn't a map, especially in pvp.

darthweasel

thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/ajsreview/44803-destiny-review

A bit harsh by my view but he says what needs to be said.

Garage Trashcan

Vincent07

I have died more than once to a Titan falling from the sky from nowhere to fist me into the ground.

That said. Hand cannons, all day erry day.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

The Red Mage

The hit box for head shots for sniper rifles had me ragey for a good minute.

Garage Trashcan

Vincent07 Avatar
I have died more than once to a Titan falling from the sky from nowhere to fist me into the ground.
Death from Above is pretty darn great.

FALCON DIVE MANDROP GO

Garage Trashcan

I might be level 26.

Send help.