Main Menu

Change RP XP from per day to per week

Started by adalon, Jun 05, 2021, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adalon

I think that is a legitimate downside for a brand new character, but I also believe it would even out as soon as you hit level 12. You can also do quests to push yourself over the threshold. There is no reason to wait a week unless you want to.

autokilla

you could go from start to up to lvl 13 if you got all your quests in and the weekly rp exp in by day one if you really wanted to

Xaerien

RPXP doesn't carry over between levels, in order to reach level 13 in a day would require abnormally fast leveling not likely to be doable without powerleveling and/or some abuse/exploit, completing every available level 11-13 quest, and being carried through the gem of life quest. This would be against the dungeon etiquette guidelines as well as being likely to cause disruption for other players with the speed at which you'd have to be clearing dungeons

autokilla

you dont need to do the gem of life dungeon as well for this. you can get about 2100 rp exp weekly, then get about 1000 by the quests for after lvl 10 (as well as about 500-700 from the rat and smuggler quest) so if you really wanted to rush through and get to lvl 13 in the first day, you could. im not saying you should, but just saying if someone really wanted to its possible. but the rp exp would be the exact same with 2100 weekly, or 300 a day. its not like making the exp value weekly lessens the exp you'd be getting from rp. and as it is right now, it takes over a week minimum to get to lvl 13 anyway from my experience so... literally wont take any longer then usual unless you spam rush through all of it as soon as you start out. I made my new pc about 5-6 days ago and she is still lvl 12. By how im doing it, it would take about 7-8 days since making her to even get her to lvl 13. So, about the same amount of time it would take if the rp exp was set to being 2100 weekly anyway.

Xaerien

RPXP doesn't carry over across levels, any RPXP you gain from ticks before level 11 will not count. The rat and smuggler quests also do not give xp past 10. This is why a weekly cap would put new characters behind compared to the current system, as you're more likely to cap your weekly allowance before you hit level 11 where rpxp becomes a requirement to level and then have to wait for the current week to end before you can start gaining ticks again

autokilla

as i said, it already took me about a week and will take over a week to lvl my pc to lvl 13 if im smart about time management. and if your smart about time management with it being weekly ticks, will take about the same length of time

autokilla

Also, jazz earlier said their only incentive to play here was the 300 exp a day. so... doesnt that mean people like that dont even like the server? if your only logging in for the 300 exp and thats hit, doesnt that mean you dont like the server or rping with anyone in it? lol

Deleted

We're not going to implement the weekly XP cap per the reasons in the prior thread.  Thank you.

autokilla

Reasons like... it doesnt effect you specifically so even though a majority of players support it, you dont care? or...? I just want to hear an actual reason that outweighs all the positives this would do, as i cant see any real issues with this suggestion

adalon

belladonna Avatar
Jun 5, 2021 18:49:56 GMT -5  @belladonna said:
We're not going to implement the weekly XP cap per the reasons in the prior thread.  Thank you.
And what reasons were those exactly? I didn't see any reasons in the prior thread other than "some things were talked about on discord so nope not doing it". That isn't exactly a reason and it'd be nice to have that documented, or you're likely to see another one of these threads pop up as the idea seems more popular than not, from the posts so far on this thread. I also haven't had anyone specifically talk to my reasons for wanting this change. Are players like me with limited time just not desired on this server? I'm just curious what the official stance is here.

trylobyte

The reasons have already been mentioned in the thread.  Let me expand on the three primary reasons a bit, since I was around for the last discussion too.

1)  It makes it harder for new characters, especially those of new players who don't know how the system works, to get out of the early levels.  This means powergamers and well-connected players like veterans will be able to race ahead of new players because they will have the knowledge and experience to fully take advantage of the system, moreso than they already do.  You think you're having problems keeping up with people now?  You ain't seen nothing yet.

2)  Every kind of persistent game needs a carrot to get people online and active, and there's nothing better for this than a daily perk.  Most major MMOs do something like this because they're aware of the 'death spiral' - If a game has a low player count, then people won't log in, and if people won't log in because there aren't many people online, then, well...  The daily XP ticks are how CD helps to subvert that.  Want to level up a bit quicker?  Well, better log in and be active for a bit every day.  Otherwise you have people who will only play one or two days a week and simply no-life it, whih drops player count, which means fewer people log in, which means fewer new players show up...  There's a reason it's called a death spiral.  This is a simple case where something that the majority of players support would actually be bad for the long-term viability of the server.

3)  The fairy isn't really supposed to be the primary source of XP on the server, quests and events are.  The fairy is meant to be a supplement to that.  This gives players a motivation to get involved in the stories being told and work with people they otherwise might not meet, encouraging socialization and making new friends (or enemies).  I've met a lot of interesting people because they happened to be in a quest group with me, and I've had characters grow and change in major ways because of quest events.  The XP is a big carrot to encourage people to share in this experience.

adalon

OK thanks for posting them. I just don't see how it affects early leveling to such a degree. It might make a difference of a couple days worth of leveling at most in the early levels, but that is small compared to the weeks you'll spend in later levels.

Yeah, I do think you need some sort of carrot to keep people logging in and maybe some folks would get all their XP in a day or two. I'd likely be one of those people, not out of choice, but out of necessity. I like how people just throw out "better log in every day and be active!" I mean, cool for you, but I can't.

Maybe the fairy isn't supposed to be the primary source of XP, but I miss most events and don't even bother signing up because of my time restrictions, so for me it is the main source of XP. I appreciate that that is not the case for you and obviously others, but no one seems to be considering that not everyone has the ability to do this.

It sounds like this will just get tossed anyways, so I suppose it doesn't matter. Feel free to close the thread if you want. I'm out :)

autokilla

1) It would be hard for new players with daily rp ticks or weekly. When i first started out, i did the beginning quests like slaad, the mirror, the painting and what not all at lvls 10-11 when i barely even needed rp exp in the first place so still screwed myself. New players who dont even know about the rp exp limit will do the exact same thing anyway and almost all new players i meet and talk with when i explain the rp exp to them, its such a turn off a bunch say thats a major turn off for them, while a bunch of others have even said its not worth it and decided to leave due to how unliked the rp exp cap is.

2) They can still do that without making a massive limit like needing to get a certain amount of rp exp, or at least so much. like, right now Demi needs 20k rp exp to lvl to 20. and thats exp that will largely be gained only by rp ticks as i cant do ad hocs because i dont like being in giant crowds of 10-20 people, and most events get filled up so fast on the forums a lot of players, like myself, dont have time to even sign up for them and therefore my only source of any meaningful rp is the daily ticks. but as i have a life, im not on the server all day getting the max rp exp and constantly swapping pcs to get everyone the max amount in the day like so many other people do that i've personally seen.

3) Pretty much answered this in part two. some people like myself cant do ad hocs for one reason or another, and cant sign uj for every event thats posted for one reason or another so the daily fairy ticks are the majority of the exp im able to gain. and when im not able to jump on every single day, for the entire day it makes it very hard to make any meaningful progress

trylobyte

To add a little bit of elaboration on the kinds of things the admins worry about in regards to #2, I used to play on another server too.  They restricted it so that past a certain point you could only gain one level per week.  Well, what wound up happening is that everyone would wait until the day the timer reset then play on that day.  This got to be more and more an established thing, and these days the server is basically only populated one day a week, the day when the timer resets, because that's the day people can gain their level for the week.  It went from being a small population server that mustered 7-8 people per night to basically dead, and while that wasn't the only factor it was a fairly significant one.

I can see a similar thing happening (though not to that extent) if this gets implemented.  The day that XP resets will have the highest population, but it will trail off as the week goes on.  The apparent popularity of the server will fluctuate depending on what day you happen to look at it.  Are you looking at it on reset day when 40+ people are on, or are you looking at it five days later when those numbers have dropped by 50% or more because everyone's capped?

Deleted

autokilla Avatar
Reasons like... it doesnt effect you specifically so even though a majority of players support it, you dont care? or...? I just want to hear an actual reason that outweighs all the positives this would do, as i cant see any real issues with this suggestion
You have been warned not to attack other people personally.  This is your final warning.

For the record, I would benefit by the "per week" cap over the daily cap since I log in at most 3 days a week during the school year.  So watch your tone and attitude when addressing others.