Main Menu

Gladiator League

Started by dom101, Oct 14, 2014, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaeFae

I will sign up with my level 11 corpse-to-be. Put me on whichever team you hate. :)

bknuckles

From what I understood of the original post, it'll function like a Fantasy Draft where Owners choose between the combatants to form the teams? I may have misunderstood.

EDIT: Seems so! "Initial creation of the league will involve a draft period, where team owners will pick from a pool of players."

That's actually pretty neat :)

Garage Trashcan

Edge Avatar
Garage Trashcan Avatar
>Doesn't build for PvP
>Plays a cleric
Your comment here seems to imply you believe that simply being a cleric is enough to have an auto-win for combat. You would be very incorrect.
It's definitely not an auto-win, but caster or combat-wise clerics are one of the strongest classes, solely because of that versatility. Even if not "optimized" for it, just taking the right spells makes all the difference.

"Initial creation of the league will involve a draft period, where team owners will pick from a pool of players."
Oh, didn't realize it went this way. Either way, if I can find the time Nikolai would definitely be interested.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Edge

Garage Trashcan Avatar
Edge Avatar
Your comment here seems to imply you believe that simply being a cleric is enough to have an auto-win for combat. You would be very incorrect.
It's definitely not an auto-win, but caster or combat-wise clerics are one of the strongest classes, solely because of that versatility. Even if not "optimized" for it, just taking the right spells makes all the difference.

Man. I must just plain suck at picking spells then. My cleric is easily the worst off of my characters when it comes to combat, compared to my paladin and my AT.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

The Red Mage

Clerics can press two buttons and have more AB and damage than an equal level fighter.

They aren't as strong magic wise as a wizard, but they can out heal any magic damage spam a wizard can toss at them.

But none of that matters, really. If you're built for pvp, you'll have an advantage in these sorts of things. If you're built for dungeons, you'll have a disadvantage. Those are just givens. Doesn't matter, let's arepee.

Arya

Mmmm, arepeez.

<.<

~Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

dom101

The Red Mage Avatar
Clerics can press two buttons and have more AB and damage than an equal level fighter.

They aren't as strong magic wise as a wizard, but they can out heal any magic damage spam a wizard can toss at them.

But none of that matters, really. If you're built for pvp, you'll have an advantage in these sorts of things. If you're built for dungeons, you'll have a disadvantage. Those are just givens. Doesn't matter, let's arepee.

There are ways to incapacitate or otherwise make clerics completely useless; that said, at least they have melee to fall back on.

Sophia would disagree, but eh.  Depends on the cleric.  We up for getting this thing on the road or what?

dom101

sornduskryn Avatar
Sophia would disagree, but eh.  Depends on the cleric.  We up for getting this thing on the road or what?
Sophia was also 5 levels higher than bass when she fought him.  :)  She'd be surprised if she fought him again, and still 4 levels higher.

Ogre Time Yay

Might have to back Hydaro out of this, it doesn't look like there are enough players that are a part of the White Cloak thing that would be willing to do the arena thing as it would fall outside of many of the current members character personalities (from what it seems like so far, at least).

Yes, she was, still worthy fight.  And that's a shame Hyde, you've been fun in that sort of RP before.  But you're moving away from it and I respect that.

The Nameless Bard

Ogre Time Yay Avatar
Might have to back Hydaro out of this, it doesn't look like there are enough players that are a part of the White Cloak thing that would be willing to do the arena thing as it would fall outside of many of the current members character personalities (from what it seems like so far, at least).
While I as a player think it's a super cool idea, Lissa would never do something so barbaric!  

Deleted

The Nameless Bard Avatar
Ogre Time Yay Avatar
While I as a player think it's a super cool idea, Lissa would never do something so barbaric!  
Promote it as "paid training matches"?  ;)

onivel

sornduskryn Avatar
Yes, she was, still worthy fight.  And that's a shame Hyde, you've been fun in that sort of RP before.  But you're moving away from it and I respect that.
Its more the disposition of the individual PCs and their own morals/ethics. There is a difference between training battles and fighting for money that doesn't sit well with some of the PCs.

Case in point.. I have 2 PCs involved with the White Cloaks... Simkin and Geno. Geno is all over it, hell he fights with his brothers "just because". Simkin would prefer not to, seeing practice sparring as a necessary evil and causing actual harm to someone as an act for the greater good.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

The Red Mage

I doubt these will be fights to the death. I see it as more as just something for PCs to get together and do.