Main Menu

Emote Challenge

Started by dagesh, May 15, 2014, 10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagesh

So, try this out for a day or so and I'd like to hear how it goes; make your emotes only something people can see on your PC.  Facial gestures, movements of body parts (hands you dirty people!) and other things that people can only actually sense with their five senses.  This is simply a challenge for folks to try RP in a new and different way for those that have not tried it.

The purpose of this post is not to tell us all how awesome your emotes are or are not.  It is meant to challenge people to keep emotes to the five senses of other players.  If you like it, says so.  If you hate it, say so but do so IF you tried the challenge recently.

sinisteromnibus

dagesh Avatar
So, try this out for a day or so and I'd like to hear how it goes; make your emotes only something people can see on your PC.  Facial gestures, movements of body parts (hands you dirty people!) and other things that people can only actually sense with their five senses.  This is simply a challenge for folks to try RP in a new and different way for those that have not tried it.

The purpose of this post is not to tell us all how awesome your emotes are or are not.  It is meant to challenge people to keep emotes to the five senses of other players.  If you like it, says so.  If you hate it, say so but do so IF you tried the challenge recently.
I agree to this wholeheartedly and will begin my challenge tomorrow! Anyone who catches me emoting something that can't be sensed with just the five senses call me on it, please!

The Red Mage

How were emotes done otherwise before?

trylobyte

RedMage:  Some people have a tendency to emote things like their character's thoughts or emotional states, things that aren't easily picked up on.

For my part, I like to think I already stick to this challenge all the time, so I agree.

dagesh

The Red Mage Avatar
How were emotes done otherwise before?
For example:

*Looks around wondering to himself where the nearest pie shop could be*

aazonis

When you read a novel, are you only given information about characters that can be gathered with the five senses? Having information of extra sensory nature in emotes is perfectly fine as long as it is understood that the characters aren't meant to react to it, and that it is more for the players benefit and enjoyment. I like to assume people are capable enough as players to be able to differentiate what there character could or could not know. Adding touches of of these things can help lend depth and flavor to a character and story that is not always possible otherwise.

dagesh

The Red Mage

Yeah, sorry. I just did not understand.

Arya

So I tried this earlier today, and I managed to do it only for two hours. :-(

Fail. But did put in an effort and it made me at least more conscious of when I finally slipped.

~Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

dagesh

Arya Kalarathri Avatar
So I tried this earlier today, and I managed to do it only for two hours. :-(

Fail. But did put in an effort and it made me at least more conscious of when I finally slipped.

~Arya
Nice! It's harder than it sounds.

Atomic Twinkie

I don't emote at all. Ever. O_o

I SING!   Sometimes...    I also want to say I emote sometimes.

dom101

Thread necromancy.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with emoting outside of the five senses. But don't be surprised if Bass responds with a snide thought of his own, if it involves someone specifically. I've seen people emote thinking hostile things and it generally feels like a half-hearted insult that isn't meant to be responded to.  

I'm a huge fan of outward emotions which lend to the curiosity of what a character may be thinking.

*Rolls his eyes in exaggeration.* is a favorite.

The Red Mage

Back when I'd post 3 paragraphs "per turn" with the thought I was being really clever with description so people who see my character's thoughts or motives described through five sense windows would know my character's intention or emotion, I didn't realize interpretation was a real thing.

So now I tend to do both.

"Uh, what do you mean by that?" he asks while rubbing his fingertips on the edge of the table as if it would help erase his nerves.

Someone may not pick up my character is nervous without asking certain questions even though, to me, the description made it seem obvious.

It's a nice writing exercise challenge though, I think. I just had difficulty translating my intentions in the past.