Main Menu

Interest in Planar Areas?

Started by allatum, Sep 20, 2016, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allatum

This server hasn't had a shortage of Planar characters in the past (I play one, myself.) I thought I'd gauge interest given the lore of the region having planar ties, such as the Celestial Stairway and the World Serpent both having access points in Cormyr.

If the interest is positive I'd be happy to build new areas and/or convert areas from an older and now-defunct server fitting the roles of RP locations and dungeons that could fit various tiers.

There's also scripts for the like of Planeshift and modifications to the Gate Spell to self-target and open portals to preset locations that could be tinkered with to fit into C/D.

Deleted

IMO, Planar regions should be limited to DM events rather than RP locations and dungeons.  It's difficult to appropriately script the various planar differences that should be experienced on each plane.

allatum

There's a few existing scripts that can be looked at that have various effects. Things such as caster alignment and spell descriptor effects of the aligned planes would be the harder to manage of course.

Arya

For the event server, I did make a generic area that is meant for lower planes type areas, or those areas influenced by the lower planes.  But yeah, I think the scripts are the harder thing to take into account.

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Nokteronoth

I'd say keep far away from planar areas beyond the Shadow stuff, which already is way underutilized. Planar settings have a way of making 'normal' characters' actions and lives meaningless in the sway of larger scope. Then again, I'm not a fan of planar/planeswalking characters.

Little jaunts during events here and there? Sure. Whole areas persistently? Nothanksplease. Many players, even more experienced ones, don't explore a lot of the server as-is.

~BR

allatum

Nokteronoth Avatar
I'd say keep far away from planar areas beyond the Shadow stuff, which already is way underutilized. Planar settings have a way of making 'normal' characters' actions and lives meaningless in the sway of larger scope. Then again, I'm not a fan of planar/planeswalking characters.

Little jaunts during events here and there? Sure. Whole areas persistently? Nothanksplease. Many players, even more experienced ones, don't explore a lot of the server as-is.

~BR

Normal character thing is down to how it's executed. I could really say the same about epic characters sitting around the square telling people to go out and fight a dragon. There's already enough to paint normal characters as pointless in the scheme of things. But I do understand where you're coming from if none of this was kept to a very limited factor.

My thoughts really revolved around minor areas and not so much expanses of the blood-war battlefields or divine realms.

Not Batman

Yeah, I've been barking up the planes tree for a while. The answer I was always given (and it's honestly a good one) is that adding other planes would subtract from the Toril element of the server which needs to be the main focus.