Main Menu

Adventuring Gear

Started by foo, Oct 02, 2015, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foo

So I guess this is an immersion/RP kind of thing, but it would be interesting to have puzzels and such that can be solved with macguiver like use of tradional adventuring equipment, IE walls that require ladders or ropes to climb, or magical levers revealed only by munane torchlight. I feel like most of the dungeons are pretty much solved by killing things, with an occasional puzzle (which dont' get me wrong, I think the puzzles are cool!).

This also goes hand-in-hand with my other suggestion - give us some cool 'non-magical' tools for those folks who arent magically inclined. It seems like we've all got stacks of fly scrolls which kind of takes the cool out of the times when you actually use that spell. Some suggestions:

Rope - allows you to move to a tile of one higher or lower level as long as its within 10 feet, and runs a dex check, failure = damage from fall. Falling down will leave you on the lowest level involved.

Climbing gear - If present in inventory, improves your climbing check.

pop-up tents - I'm not sure if we already have these, I remember having them from other servers, it would be cool to have them here. Who needs an interdimensional mansion, I can summon tent!

Portable Ram - This portable adamantine tipped ram is used by various town watches and special Purple Dragon units to break down mundaine sealed doors. It can be used and discarded to break down a door quickly.

Drop bridge - Usually a very thick and heavy board (think 50+ lbs) that you can drop in place over a gap that will let you span a 1 tile or narrower gap (it would be really neet if this were a reusable until server reset bridge). 

20 ft pole - An equippable 'spear' or quarter staff with a damage penalty that might let you access some difficult to reach treasure or something.

It seems that even in a 'high magic' world like D&D, where magic is incorperated into day-to-day lives, non-magical solutions would be much easier to implement for the 90% of everyone else who can't magic their way out of problems!

valiea987

Angelina carries a lot of this stuff around for when this flares up in DM run campaigns! Used a good bit of it too. Always fun to be able to use these other interesting objects to solve problems.

foo

valiea987 Avatar
Angelina carries a lot of this stuff around for when this flares up in DM run campaigns! Used a good bit of it too. Always fun to be able to use these other interesting objects to solve problems.
Where do you buy most of this stuff? Also please tell Thira in game :D

Nevermore

There is a small shop in Immersea something Notions. They have some great random things.

Valimar Dragonbane

I think there's a store in Highmoon that sells adventuring gear, too.  And one or two in Arabel - Raven's Plume has some of it.  I think the other one is located in SE district.  And yeah, I have characters that cart that stuff around too.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Edge

There's also the dwarf's shop in Halfhap, where he sells rope, lanterns, grappling hooks, scroll cases, and some other useful things.

Most DMs will happily let you use items like this in events, so while they aren't super-useful in dungeons (and I'm not sure how much work it would take to make them so), they can come in useful in DM events.

Re: Tents - we actually used to have spawnable tent, chair, table, and other placeables items, but they were removed because players would regularly take them into dungeons and use them to corral and bottleneck enemies.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

misfit

Edge Avatar
...but they were removed because players would regularly take them into dungeons and use them to corral and bottleneck enemies.
And this is why we can't have nice things.

foo

Could we have spawnable tents that didn't block pathing? If they're for RP anyway, it won't matter if you can walk through walls.

Deleted

Problem with spawnable placeables is that given the amount of time our server is up, this would increase lag significantly.  Instead, we have tents regularly placed in forest areas for safe resting.

Vincent07

Spawned placeables block pathing.  Just the way they work.  

And yes, they were being used to abuse the AI, and for some reason also the cause of crashes on Event server transitions, and so were removed.

As to the other ideas, many of them are rendered moot by the /leap command and flight either from the spell or wings.  The others would all involve a fair bit of scripting and areas set up for them.  I have thought about requiring rope to climb down an area a time or two, just haven't gotten to it yet.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel