Main Menu

Linux Client Stability

Started by misfit, Mar 13, 2014, 08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfit

Does anyone else run the Linux client? I have a couple of manageable issues with it - can't use the Toolset and some custom content gets rendered all-white - but I'm mostly happy with it. But I was in the orc caves east of Thundarlun last night and it core-dumped. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that I was in the third area where every orc and his brother is just beyond the double doors firing arrows at you.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any crash protection advice. I know - I'm probably the only one. But that XP box of yours will only last so long, and Lubuntu is a breeze to use.

J

misfit

I just updated my system to Lubuntu 14.10. I'm now running NWN via Wine, instead of the native Linux client. I kept getting seg faults in that. This is actually the first time I've gotten it to work in Wine, so I thought I'd mention it. I can even run Aurora in Wine (it opens, at least).

My particular system has an Intel graphics card. It's worth mentioning that Intel's otherwise wonder graphics support in Linux is only up to 14.04, and I had to fool it into thinking I was on that version to get the automagic update utility to run.

I also found that if I put a few addresses in my hosts file as 0.0.0.0, it takes the multiplayer menu much less time to to give up. I know there's a utility out there that does this, but it also does some other stuff, and I didn't want to cause any issues (besides, did I mention it's working in Wine?!?!). This is a much more low-tech approach. If I can remember when I'm back home, I'll reply with which sites they are - but maybe somebody else knows.

Just thought I'd share these things in case anyone else goes down this path.

And my new SSD rawks! Boots in just a few secs. I hosted a LAN game for my kids last night - four of us running the main NWN campaign with mine acting as the server. Very nice.

misfit

I have these entries in my hosts file. Speeds up getting on the game tremendously.

0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com
0.0.0.0 nwn.master.gamespy.com
0.0.0.0 peerchat.gamespy.com

Just in case this is new info to anyone.

Deleted

We... probably... should sticky that somewhere important.  >.>

NorthWolf: Doge Edition

misfit Avatar
I have these entries in my hosts file. Speeds up getting on the game tremendously.

0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com
0.0.0.0 nwn.master.gamespy.com
0.0.0.0 peerchat.gamespy.com

Just in case this is new info to anyone.

Windows users can also use the Neverwinter Nights Client Extender. Unfortunately there's no Linux version of it. :( Suffice it be said it also skips most of those checks. If the server isn't already part of its client listings, it might also be worth trying to do that as well.

Vincent07

Anyone playing on a windows machine these days should have that client extender installed.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel