Main Menu

New widget idea

Started by The Red Mage, Dec 23, 2013, 11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Mage

The idea I have is for a simple Ready widget. Player may find use of it too, but it would mostly be for DMs who use a lot of combat or boss type creations. The Widget will pull up a command window that simply says "Are you ready? 1. Yes 2. No" 

DMs or party can see the responses, and it will let everyone advance on the same page RP wise on when to engage or when there is more RP to be had. 

Thoughts, opinions? Let's try to keep this thread civil. :)

Garage Trashcan

Why do we need a widget for this? How is this any better than just asking if people are ready and them responding yes/no/not at all?
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

The Red Mage

Because if we can establish there is a system in play, hopefully we can cut down on premature NPC deaths in quest lines. ;d

Not saying that avenue of RP can't still be taken, but it will be taken when the rest of the party and DM are aware.

And it's easier than just taking a majority rules verdict when asking the party. Some may want to RP more, some may want to just get to it, and so on. Having a widget or something the party can see or respect, if the DM would like them to, will help, I think.

"On this quest, 3/4ths yes votes means you can attack."

"On this quest, if we get at least one no vote, we're going to let that person keep speaking with the npc"

and so on.

Valimar Dragonbane

I'm not sure you'd need a widget if you said at the start of the quest that 3/4 votes equals the majority.  You can always dictate the terms of the quest at the onset of it - either when you lay down quest rules for an ad-hoc or posted up on the boards.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Garage Trashcan

Just because a widget is implemented, doesn't mean people will listen to it, either. The same as with plain typing. It's an issue of respecting what other people want to do and how DMs nudge players in the right directions (hint dropping, etc), not lack of awareness. If someone doesn't respond to something, they possibly went AFK unexpectedly, it happens.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich