Main Menu

Vandria: The Elven Goddess of JUSTICE!... Inquiry...

Started by Ogre Time Yay, Feb 11, 2014, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deleted

The conflict comes trying to reconcile different information from different editions.  Usually, we take 3.5 information over older editions in these situations.

As for CG deities having paladins:  they generally require specification.  ThayanKnight is correct on the errata.  LG, LN, and NG deities can have paladins (but without paladin orders); CG deities require specification.  This is why Sune and Selune have specified orders that override the usual rule.  That said, there is evidence that Corellon (not the whole Seldarine) had paladins and paladin orders.  This is why several of staff members are ruling on the side of "yes, Corellon can have paladins."

Arya

Pretty much what Bella said.  Those are my thoughts on the topic, even if there is still some ambiguity on the matter on whether it is a knightly order or a paladinic order that Corellon supports in those noted cases. If it were up to me, I would be all for the paladins of Corellon if they follow one of his knightly orders.  And truthfully, I am inclined to support house rules that do not rewrite every single rule out there, but still give some leeway for people to enjoy themselves.  Unless something in the material absolutely says "never," I am going to support what people want to make.  When it comes to the case of contradictions, such as the juxtaposition between Faiths and Pantheons proposed by ThayanKnight and the material out there on Corellon's knight orders in the Forgotten Realms, I am going to give the latter the benefit of the doubt.

I think the rules are important, but I have seen two different schools of thought concerning them and how to enforce them.  The server as a collective has often fluctuated on doing so, as well, whether through seeing the need for change or other matters:

1. Using the rules to limit and keep character concepts under a very rigid sense of normalcy. As hard as it is to believe, I get pretty put off by this when people try to overdo it with the elves (even if I complain about evil elves more than good drow).  <.< And it was one reason I stopped playing a few times. Because I play my elves and enjoy them. :-D 

2. Using the rules as guidelines, looking for ways and even 'loopholes' in the material to help others make the characters they want.  And if necessary, even working on ways through story and lore to create exceptional characters - especially when they reach epic and I feel story is more important than mechanics.

I am partial to the second option.  As much as I have a reputation for the drow and elven lore, and being rather eccentric about it, I am more inclined to help a player make a character concept that still follows what I perceive as the spirit of the setting, but not to the point of making another cookie-cutter character...to put it bluntly.  And something that helps contribute to the server, the character, and the player's enjoyment.

For instance, and mildly off topic for a moment, I have heard people say that none of the Seldarine would ever take a fiend-tainted elf except for Fenmarel Mestarine.  And this particular situation has caused disagreement regarding a character here who sincerely was seeking connection with his elven blood, despite that he had fiend blood, seeking an elven deity and ending up with Fenmarel Mestarine.  I am guessing that this is because of the line mentioned in the descriptor for fey'ri in Races of Faerun, that state how neutral fey'ri worship Fenmarel Mestarine (keep in mind, fey'ri are specifically sun-elven made within a specific Forgotten Realms historical context).  None of this material, even then, explicitly states that the Seldarine gods do not take them.  Only Shevarash is plainly noted in the descriptor to not take these waywards.*

In short, the rules are important for guidelines, but I do not enjoy people "book-bashing" or using the material to only enforce a restrictive ideology on how they believe the game "should-be."  And I also equally have issue with snark and back-biting that occurs when people do not get their way when it is not even their character or themselves involved.  <.< These sort of situations ruin the fun for everyone. 

Sincerely,
Arya

*And on a note, it is an older edition, but still significant to the topic: Sehanine Moonbow has a 'tiefling' worshiper mentioned in Hallowed Grounds, who was an elf with a cambion parent. Because nothing in 3.5 flatly contradicts this possibility in the rules, I am going to assume book-thumping on this subject is moot.
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

ThayanKnight

Oh, I'm all for elven paladins.  I was merely arguing the fact that there was something "that explicitly prohibits either paladins of CG deities or paladins of the Seldarine".  

Arya

And in cases like that, I am quite happy with a house rule that makes sense even if the mechanics may not fully agree with it. *Grin.* In the name of making stories.  I think the Forgotten Realms contradicted the rule on the "CG deities and paladins" piece in Faiths and Pantheons. But like Bella said, specificity is important in such exceptions.

Sincerely,
Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

ThayanKnight

Oh, and while the subject is up, why not just go fighter/Divine Champion? Its not exactly the same mechanically, but the RP is still there.

Fire Wraith

I'm generally fine with Elven Paladins, as long as it's realized that they're rare, and not always well-liked in Elven Society (sort of viewed as a necessary evil - good to have, but good to have out fighting and crusading, away from where they might bother the more CG folks).  Also, as far as things like non-FR lesser deities, those are fine too, as long as they're placed in FR context... either as an obscure lesser servitor of the primary god of the pantheon (Corellon in this case) or as an alternate aspect of an existing god with strong parallels (like how Lilith is a Priestess of Calistria, a Pathfinder Goddess, as an aspect of Sharess).

We probably need to look over the whole bit with Paladin (and Monk) orders, due to the contorted multi-classing rules that aren't exactly obvious to new players, nor are aligned properly to our class assortment vis a vis textbook D&D.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Darvins

Fire Wraith Avatar
I'm generally fine with Elven Paladins, as long as it's realized that they're rare, and not always well-liked in Elven Society (sort of viewed as a necessary evil - good to have, but good to have out fighting and crusading, away from where they might bother the more CG folks).  
This, pretty much, I'd say that would be the very appeal of a Paladin of say Corellon, this is someone who meets all the usual standards of a hero but... the very people he or she serves are uncomfortable around them, oh they are grateful for the heroism but... something about them is just off putting. They don't quite fit in.... and the role they fill is already filled by the Bladesingers. It would be an interesting take on a Paladin I feel. As for the how, well Fire touched on it, and in the Seldarine's case, the existence of said servitor is not hard to imagine. The Seldarine is one of the more well known Good Pantheons, it's not inconcievable that a Lawful Good entity was drawn to Correllon for his well acknowledged wisdom overlooking his Chaotic side, to serve one of the primary Good dieties in the planes.

Arya

Truth be told, I have always seen deities like Corellon, Sehanine Moonbow, and Labelas Enoreth to have roles that make them a bit more serious compared to some of the other elven gods.  They seem the type who are strongly leaning more on the good side of their given alignment than the chaotic side.  If anything, Hanali Celanil's temperament is like Sune and I have found deities like that to have stronger chaotic leanings, yet Sune has her own order in the human pantheon.  Corellon's governance of war for the Seldarine makes him a good choice.

And yes, I think the roleplay in this situation can be a nice challenge.  I myself play a sneak that is clearly elven at the core, yet has developed to where she is at odds with her own people because of her transitions.  I can see the same sort of dilemma with elven paladins bar differing skillsets and reasons.

Sincerely,
Arya

morwen

So was this a "yes"? If so I have a character rebuild request coming up...

Deleted

Fire Wraith Avatar
I'm generally fine with Elven Paladins, as long as it's realized that they're rare, and not always well-liked in Elven Society (sort of viewed as a necessary evil - good to have, but good to have out fighting and crusading, away from where they might bother the more CG folks).  Also, as far as things like non-FR lesser deities, those are fine too, as long as they're placed in FR context... either as an obscure lesser servitor of the primary god of the pantheon (Corellon in this case) or as an alternate aspect of an existing god with strong parallels (like how Lilith is a Priestess of Calistria, a Pathfinder Goddess, as an aspect of Sharess).

We probably need to look over the whole bit with Paladin (and Monk) orders, due to the contorted multi-classing rules that aren't exactly obvious to new players, nor are aligned properly to our class assortment vis a vis textbook D&D.
I'm guessing it's a yes, Morwen.   :)

morwen