Main Menu

What is the difference between Drow and Dark Elves

Started by aalnyar, Jan 03, 2024, 12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aalnyar

I was curious when the Drow started to revert back to their Dark Elf state and what the big difference is between the two.

cherrycoke2l

I'm assuming that by Dark Elves you mean Ssri'Tel'Quessir, subrace of elves which became drow during the Dark Disaster.

In CD timeline, drow aren't reverting to the Dark Elf state, since those events were described in the Blackstaff (restoration of Miyeritar) and Ascendancy of the Last novels. Drow are drow and that's it. Someone might refer to them as Dark Elves, but they are still drow we all know. CD doesn't recognise these due to the following:
* Novels aren't considered canon,
* These events are post 1372DR.

There can be some speculations made as to what these Dark Elves would be like, but since they're irrelevant to CD's timeline, it would be better to take them elsewhere :D

aalnyar

thanks for clarifying, gives me another piece of information to work with

Thanks Ary'Keryn

aalnyar

cherrycoke2l Avatar
I'm assuming that by Dark Elves you mean Ssri'Tel'Quessir, subrace of elves which became drow during the Dark Disaster.

In CD timeline, drow aren't reverting to the Dark Elf state, since those events were described in the Blackstaff (restoration of Miyeritar) and Ascendancy of the Last novels. Drow are drow and that's it. Someone might refer to them as Dark Elves, but they are still drow we all know. CD doesn't recognise these due to the following:
* Novels aren't considered canon,
* These events are post 1372DR.

There can be some speculations made as to what these Dark Elves would be like, but since they're irrelevant to CD's timeline, it would be better to take them elsewhere :D
I have heard the term used in Arabel but didn't know if it had happened or not and from what you have mentioned it wont happen.

Arya

Backing what Cherrycoke said here, you may hear both terms but they are at this point still drow/dhaerow and not recognized as re-integrated with the elven People. While there is no never on whether this could happen, it would not be done lightly and it would require a lot of thought and some major events.

In my veteran opinion, not even speaking for admins or sDMs here, it would definitely also need to be in the hands of Eilistraeans, then maybe some of her closer allied deities of the Seldarine, as she is one of those topics that are debated among elves. More elitist groups of elves still find the idea of at least her having worshipers a myth and against the doctrine they propose that the Ilythiiri started the Crown Wars. A number of our characters in the elven faction know better, but if it was not such a controversial subject, Queen Amlaruil Moonflower would not have need to keep her attempts to find a home for Eilistraeans in Evermeet only for her most trusted people to know. Evermeet is the bastion of more insular ideas, and even their moon elves despite usual cultural trends of them have to accommodate such.

Best,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow