Main Menu

Acquisition of Unusual Languages

Started by Plot Lost, Mar 09, 2024, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plot Lost

The perk of re-creating a new character based on a pre-existing character from elsewhere is that role-playing that said character is going to be like walking upon an already well-trodden path. You know how that character is going to react to things, what opinions it will have, and what character would say in any given situation.

Now, the downside is that such characters also often come with requirements of certain things they should either have or be able to do. And this is the reason why my third character is stuck In The Beginning. I personally feel that this character of mine really should have access to a particular Red Language, potentially to additional three other linguistically related Red Languages, and maybe even a fifth completely unrelated Red Language.

I have not picked any language as of yet. And I do not know what would even be the best course of action to at least get that one Red Language. Should I file for some special background thing, just pick random languages and ask for a DM to do a swap, or what exactly? I am just not sure how to proceed here.
You can only find me in game, or through forums. No Discord installed here.

onivel

Would think this falls under the unusual character concept rules... fill out the proper application and submit to the DMs/Admins for approval.

forums.cormyrdalelands.com/index.php?topic=22317

Disclaimer... I am not staff, just been here a long while. 

" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

aliceofthevoid

It would go through an app I believe, yes, though I don't think you'd be able to start with five languages without the 20+ base Int to support it.

sphene

You start with your racial language, and one or seldomly none or two other depending on what region you orginated. Then you can choose one per point of int bonus, where depending on what you are some are red. What I did when I wanted to replace one starting language with another that was reddened out, I wrote a misc request for it, where I mentioned wich token language I want to swap and why. If that is not enough in your case, and you need a full app, the staff will tell you at the misc request. That would be the way I would choose, at least. Hope that helps.

Plot Lost

Plot Lost

Oh, I do feel little silly now. I only now realized that there is such a spell as "Tongues" on the server, which allows my character to speak all the languages my character should. A level 2 spell for Bards, level 3 spell for Wizards and Sorcerers, and level 4 spell for Clerics and Favoured Souls. It lasts for 10 turns per caster level, so that is 10 minutes per caster level. Well, it checks the need of my character to be able to converse in those desired languages. Which then potentially opens up the possibility of self-learning the language through mimicry of sorts... For example, emote saying and writing things down in these languages, practice what you have written down, and so on. But the DMs would be the judge of that I suppose. Not to mention how that might be considered to be bit of a nuisance in done in public.

ladybug

I do not believe we have allowed Tongues to count as a substitute for learning a language. Among other concerns, it doesn't work for literacy, only speech. I do not have any reasons to see admins changing this precedent.
SDM Sto Helit
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Plot Lost

Well, it still fulfills the flavour based role-play needs of my character, which is to be able to speak in specific languages. So it is a lot less worrying for me about making applications and what not, because I am not quite certain what to include and how much effort I should see in the place...