Main Menu

Thank you for the positive Admin experience!

Started by Galena, Feb 09, 2020, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galena

There's a thread like this for Players and DMs, but not one specifically for the Admins, so I figured I'd make one. There should be a place for us to post the positive feedback we have when it comes to the server in general. While the Bug Report, Support, and Update Request channels on Discord are nice, they're kind of inherently places to complain, and I think that might lend itself to a sense that there is only complaint for the Admins.

Personal Bit:

I mentioned in Discord the other day about how I've used RP as a means of therapy for my various mental health issues. That's been true in some form or another since I was about 14-15 or so (I'm now 33), but a few years back I had an unfortunate incident in ESO that kinda killed my video-game-based RP vibe. It sucked, and while it led to me fixing some things that needed to be fixed, it also created this barrier of anxiety that left me unable to get back into it. I tried on ESO, I tried on SWTOR, I even tried on Champions Online for some reason, but I couldn't get over that hump.

I used to RP on some NWN servers back in the day, like back when the game first came out. NWN was in fact the first game I ended up getting a video card specifically for, which necessitated me building my first machine. I won't get into that in-depth, but suffice to say it's responsible for a lot of my computer literacy.

I don't precisely recall what prompted me to pick up EE, but it was after getting it that I learned that it had sorta re-implemented the multiplayer infrastructure. On a whim, I looked into PW stuff, like hak packs and all that.

I would never have guessed that it would be Neverwinter Nights, of all things, that would help me get over that hurdle. It almost wasn't, in fact, as the first server I'd tried was PotM. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice server and all, but it was brutal, especially if you're not big on playing in groups. It was after spending weeks trying to get to level 4 and dying to a crag cat (again) that I decided to stop playing. I didn't know anything about Ravenloft anyway, and I wanted to try something that was a little more in my lore wheelhouse, so I decided to try an FR server.

I don't exactly know why I picked CD, either, but I'm very happy that I did. I have met a number of people here who've become real friends, people I care about a great deal. It's been a great boon to be able to RP like again, especially at a time where I'm achieving certain states of wellness that I hadn't really believed possible. I've made characters here that I absolutely love, and they've helped me explore so much of what I'm working through. The real benefit can't be overstated; RP helps me understand myself like nothing else ever has.

None of that would be possible without  , @belladonna  ,   ,  , and whatever various Admins were around in the past. You all clearly put a lot of effort and love into this server, keeping it alive all these years and tangling with the horrid mess that is early 00's game development. You've helped build a community that's remarkably friendly, all things considered, and you've provided a place where I've felt safe enough to express myself, and I cannot thank you all enough for it. You are all wonderful, lovely people in my eyes, and I'm certain I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Thank you <3

Nokteronoth

I've really enjoyed the server, and it's why I've spent 6 years here. I never really thought I'd be all that good at DMing, but the admins along with a few other people pushed me into trying it. And while I haven't been super active lately due to RL stuff, I have really enjoyed it.

To think, I was probably like a single incident from being outright banned a few years ago, to helping train aDMs.

So a thanks to Fire, for hosting and troubleshooting, and being there for some of us that need it.
A thank you to Bella, for handling the background stuff, the LETOs, the notes, tracking, and informing people of admin decisions.
A thank you to Vince, for doing all the coding and bug fixing and tedious hours of work in the toolset.
And last but not least, a thank-you to Edge for keeping events and the server timeline flowing.

(That isn't to say that's everything they do, but just a small fraction.)

~BR

Arya

Want to thank the Admins (@belladonna            ) for letting me play here even knowing that I have had very mixed feelings about the gaming community as a whole (love but some trends that drove me away for a bit), which I look at Cormyr Dalelands still a part. For letting me play knowing that, and also letting people have grace to play here despite having past mistakes, moments of not always agreeing with them and for being on the opposite side of things. Sometimes it takes months or years to get on the same page, but I thank them for it. I know I would probably not be too welcomed if not for that. 

I also want to thank @belladonna     for some of the roleplay with Rhea and Dae that has totally reinforced they are related, despite their family secrets making them foils of each other (not for public view, dun-dun-dun). And I also was definitely prepared for things happening that did not, and completely made their dynamic more complex. 

I want to thank       for letting me crash at his place at times when I have a conference in proximity to the DC area. :-D 

I want to thank for being willing to let me yell at him at times when I do see something that can be done better. Also still being one of my best friends out there.

This server is not perfect, and it never will be because that is not a realistic expectation, but it always felt more of a home server for me than the server I played on before. 

Many here who play now are also people I have known on the server I played on prior. It is nice to see everyone here able to contribute! 

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Jerrick

This is more general than specific, because I've only been around since August, but there's a reason I've been here -that- long!
Not only do y'all have a pretty awesome playerbase, but the fact that not only is your DM team active (With a cool quest scheduling system), but the Admin team is active too!
By that I mean that I played on another server for years and years, which of course had ups and downs, but eventually there was a degree of slowdown that happened that made it feel less real and alive, since players 'changing the world' in-game = admin work. And it IS work. Unpaid, under-appreciated sometimes, talent and learning required, work.

So thank you, Admin team, for not only being PRESENT to talk to people, answer questions, and being visible, but for all that actual WORK.
It's frankly amazing, and a big reason why I've stuck around, because everything you're doing -works- to build a really terrific, engaging, and welcoming environment for all of our shananigans.

<3

JadeDragon

The Red Mage

I basically became an adult here. There's no bigger compliment I can give than thank you for letting me get my creative fix here with this community once again.

Arya

Also, I did not get to this, but I wanted to thank for also listening to me ramble about stories, ideas, and also some of my own literary criticism put in a gaming viewpoint. And also helping me figure out some of my oddball concepts to still keep within the spirit of lore when I need another pair of eyes.  
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

kingofaquilonia

I dont see eye with some of you folks at times but i still have some fond memories of the laughs we had in vent/teamspeak way back. Mostly though as it seems most relevant of late. Keep your chin up Vincent, i know folks can come off the wrong way at times but i know you got a full plate bud

Arya

@belladonna     for all of the hours into LETO work and pitch-in to help me adjust to being staff again.

for all the scripting work, along with   and      for all the bug-testing. I know you two are not admins, but admin helpers this time!

for giving us a home.

Best,
Arya

Melody

I'd like to thank  and  for all their hard work creating the haks and scripting everything required for us to have the upcoming update. Everything you've done and do is appreciated, from hosting, to scripting, to troubleshooting, and finding new things to add to make the game fun and even more expansive for us.

Thank you to @belladonna for ALL your LETO work. I had no idea how it had changed for EE so all your hard work is genuinely, truly appreciated, and I promise I'll try to keep my own LETO requests to a minimum for the future! And many prayers for a safe move!

Thank you to  for the recent dwarf plot recently as you have an absolutely stellar nose for divulging interesting lore I didn't know, and I love that you reward using Knowledge skills the way you do! It was fun, I'm looking forrward to next. Many prayers for a safe move for you and Ladybug, too!

And thank you all for creating this home for us. CD is the best server I've ever found and I'm grateful for all you do to make it a very warm and welcoming place!
"Hello, dashings and darlings!" - Melody

canticleofcocytus

I'll second Melody's post above, and would like to extend it to the DM staff who've helped with relevels and rebuilds as well. Amazing job, everyone! Thank you for being awesome!

Shantis

I am grateful to the admins, for all the hard work they did, and for all the effort and dedication to make the server work for so many years. My only regret was not having find this server before.

I am grateful to a friend of mine, who indicated this server to me after having spent a long time without playing nwn, renewing my passion and expectations with this game. And with the right server to enjoy and with a fantastic community and a fantastic group of admins.

Arya

Want to add to the admin work comment. Thank you admins for the hard work and effort into the new content and the sweat, tears, and blood that went into the latest hakpak.

Thank you all for keeping this place around!

Best,
Arya

Arya

Giving thanks to @belladonna for doing six hours of LETO work in a given day. Anyone who can, send her gifts and spoil her with Snapple and luxurious dessert!

Best,
Arya

Shantis

And she does this often. Thank you very much, Bella!