Main Menu

Favorite underrated anime

Started by onivel, Apr 25, 2016, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SprklRnbwUncrnGO

Not quite certain if it actually counts as underrated or not.  I don't think I watch enough to know.  But, I've been told not many really care for it.  That said, I really dug this one.

thorien

Claymore -is- awesome. Despite the fact that I am not a big fan of anime, I really enjoyed it. The music also is perfect.

onivel

Claymore is most excellent. Good choice.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

Nevermore

The best underrated anime I've seen this year would have to be Gosick. Really good romantic mystery all nicely contained in one season.  Also blame Firewraith but check out Nyarko-San: Crawling with Love .... a really wonderful humorous take on all things Lovecraftian!

Edge

So just got pointed to one today by a reviewer whose opinion I agree with 99% of the time... strangely enough, normally the type who focuses on things like Star Trek and Doctor Who, SFDebris.

That being Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Basically it starts out as a fairly stereotypical "magical girl" story in the vein of Sailor Moon or the like, with Cute Animal Sidekick offering a high-school girl the chance to become a superhero and help save the world from a villainous threat. Then everything turns bizarro-world and things are very much not what they seem. Surprisingly highly recommended.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

SprklRnbwUncrnGO

thorien Avatar
Claymore -is- awesome. Despite the fact that I am not a big fan of anime, I really enjoyed it. The music also is perfect.
That was the boat I'm in, too.  Most of the "anime-y" things that bug me, like overused time dilation or characters bursting into tears at the sight of a thumbtack that reminds them of their mother's fight with a rose garden and now that I remember that I'll give everything I have into this fight and overcome the evil with the power of unbridled friendship aaaaaah...yeah, all that.  For some reason, it didn't bug me here.  Can't put my finger on why, either.

onivel

Edge Avatar
So just got pointed to one today by a reviewer whose opinion I agree with 99% of the time... strangely enough, normally the type who focuses on things like Star Trek and Doctor Who, SFDebris.

That being Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Basically it starts out as a fairly stereotypical "magical girl" story in the vein of Sailor Moon or the like, with Cute Animal Sidekick offering a high-school girl the chance to become a superhero and help save the world from a villainous threat. Then everything turns bizarro-world and things are very much not what they seem. Surprisingly highly recommended.
Yes.. very much this one. Ran though the whole series a few months back with my eldest who is turning into a little otaku. 

I recently started watching a Netflix series called Ajin that I have found pretty interesting. 

I wouldn't call this next one underrated, as I think it is fairly mainstream at this point, but Durarara! is another that I found pretty interesting.

An older one that I think has flown under the radar is " The Scrapped Princess " Its hard as hell to find it anywhere, and the copies you do find are expensive. I loved the story for it. Its a single season .. 13 episodes, but it takes you on a pretty emotional ride. Yeah.. I know I mentioned this one before, but I can't mention it enough. 
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

thorien

SprklRnbwUncrnGO Avatar
thorien Avatar
That was the boat I'm in, too.  Most of the "anime-y" things that bug me, like overused time dilation or characters bursting into tears at the sight of a thumbtack that reminds them of their mother's fight with a rose garden and now that I remember that I'll give everything I have into this fight and overcome the evil with the power of unbridled friendship aaaaaah...yeah, all that.  For some reason, it didn't bug me here.  Can't put my finger on why, either.
I recommend Hellsing, the original one. ;)

SprklRnbwUncrnGO

thorien Avatar
I recommend Hellsing, the original one. ;)
The original is great.  Ultimate was good, too.  But Hellsing Ultimate Abridged by Team 4-Star?  Oh yeah...all about it, baby.

Of course, NSFW.

ladybug

Don't recall it being mentioned here, but Baccano! is fantastic with a soundtrack to match. Such a good dub.
SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Dismus

I like over the top anime. So Kill La Kill is one of my favorites.