Main Menu

Make Spell Focus Worth Taking

Started by aazonis, May 05, 2014, 11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aazonis

The Red Mage Avatar
They aren't in NWN either. They are mind spells.

Death Ward blocks it, I just tested it, so at least on CD it is counted as Death Magic. It is also counted as a mind spell, so anything that gives immunity to that also stops it.

Not Batman

Masque Avatar
I would say so - Fighter, Barbarian and Monk could all use an upgrade with fighter and barbarian being in the most need.
Fighter is great, if you know what you're doing with it. Barbarian has needed a boost since bloody 3.X was in beta (And it's not doing much better in 5.0).

Masque

Fighter is a concern because to be honest with you there simply are not enough decent feats for it to take. Ranger gets enough bonus feats to cover what you need free fighting styles, HiPS, Tumble, spells and full BAB.

Fighter is very good for entry into PRCs and dips but a poor class on its own merit.

Edit: Also as an aside it really suffers in terms of plot utility it has no useful utility skills to use in plots to solve problems that don't involve hitting something. It has intimidate but rarely has the skill points or the charisma synergy for it to be useful. 

The Red Mage

The elemental resists feats aren't too bad on this server as it opens more gear slots for saving throw stuff. Not to mention they can afford to specialize in more than one weapon.

But I think we're off topic.

Vincent07

aazonis Avatar
The Red Mage Avatar
They aren't in NWN either. They are mind spells.
Death Ward blocks it, I just tested it, so at least on CD it is counted as Death Magic. It is also counted as a mind spell, so anything that gives immunity to that also stops it.

They are mind spells, but the effect applied is a death effect, thus death immunity stops it.  That's just a mechanic of NWN
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

The Red Mage

Vincent07 Avatar
aazonis Avatar

They are mind spells, but the effect applied is a death effect, thus death immunity stops it.  That's just a mechanic of NWN
Nah, this is just another weird CD quirk like many other spell things. It goes through death ward on every other server. You can check by booting up campaign. You just need immunity to mind sells or immunity to fear to stop them.

Vincent07

I wonder when that got changed then.  I can make it bypass death ward.  Death is the only effect that can be made to bypass immunity. (wish the others could)
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel