Main Menu

Notice: Mutliclassing Rules update.

Started by Vincent07, Dec 26, 2014, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenorgeneral

To be quite blunt:  Special Snowflakes aside, half-fiends are evil unless the requisite alignment/subtype changing rituals for outsiders have been waived here.

And if they have, that should be posted, as otherwise, there is no way to change your alignment as an outsider (unless we're assuming -always evil- PCs lead a life of good pre-creation so that they don't have to work through a life's-worth of evil deeds).

Alternatively, maybe we really don't care about the limits of the setting, so long as our stories are compelling to someone.  But, if we're going to ignore some of the rules, where do we draw the line?

It would be quite nice to have a listing of rules that have been altered/eliminated/changed to fit the admins' view of the server.  Because, otherwise, those of us that play by the rules, come out looking like we're wrong all the time (we very might well be as the rules seem to not be hard and fast).

Vincent07

To be blunt.

You are wrong here.

Half-planars start at specific alignments, but that can change.  Half-fiends can better themselves, and rise up, Half-celestials can fall to darkness.  This is not unique to CD.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Edge

Players like you, Tenor, are the reason so many people among the D&D and PF playerbase hate the Alignment grid. Treating alignment like a chain-locked straightjacket that you refuse to bend against strangles story opportunities and limits the abilities of GMs and players alike to tell a tale.

I'll be blunt. I've never heard of the rituals you so desperately are clinging to here before. Ever. Every single result of alignment change I've ever seen among half-outsider AND FULL OUTSIDERS has been due to in-character behaviors. D&D and Pathfinder settings are FILLED with stories of fallen angels and, somewhat less prominently but in my mind far more memorable, risen fiends. Of the former of course we have the likes of Asmodeus, Malkizid, Trias, the entire original batch of erinyes, and so forth; of the latter we have Fall-From-Grace the LN Succubus and Fhjull Forked-Tongue the LN Cornugon from Planescape Torment, Arueshalae the CG Succubus from Pathfinder's Wrath of the Righteous campaign, and the ex-devil who metamorphosed into a celestial upon his rising (whose name sadly I cannot remember) from the Pathfinder novel The Redemption Engine by James Sutter. (This book also contains two fallen celestials, for that matter.)

NONE of those listed characters, good or evil alike, is listed as having their alignment altered by a ritual, magic item, curse, or other effect (with the possible exception of Fhjull, his situation is somewhat vague) - every single one of them changed because of their actions and behaviors and beliefs being altered through experiences, persuasion, or deceit.

If the makers of the games can't even be arsed to bother sticking with a so-called "rule" about how all planar and half-planar creatures are alignment-locked unless special magic or rituals or curses or items are used, likely because sticking to such an idiotic rule would hamstring so many potential stories before they even got started, we here at CD see no reason to do likewise. It's far more interesting to us, and to the majority of our playerbase, to allow planar and half-planar creatures the opportunity to struggle against their very intrinsic nature of the story turns them that way, to allow fiends and half-fiends to rise and celestials and half-celestials to fall, purely through the power of roleplay.

In short, once again, you are WRONG.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Remmy

There are plenty of other examples, some of which have been listed, for why it is possible, albeit rare for full Outsiders to shift alignment, there are many other creatures that are listed as "always ," yet you can easily look about and find examples of creatures in adventure modules, city listings, and other sources that defy this rule. Those listings are for the average example of their kind. On C/D, and in D&D antagonists and protagonists are far from the normal, average examples of their races in many cases, and as such have greater flexibility even under D&D's rather archaic alignment grid, because ultimately all listings are just guidelines, not rules binding the hands of a DM.

Further Half-Outsiders, while again listed under those alignments, are usually part mortal, can be native to Prime worlds, and need to eat, sleep, and breathe as any mortal would, unlike most of their Outsider parents. Outsiders are inflexible save for the one in a million, while the essence of a mortal is free will and the ability to change if so desired. It is for this reason more than any others that Half-Fiends can rise, Half-Celestials can fall, and children of Law and Chaos can switch sides.

We're detracting from the original topic.  Paladins.  And monks and multiclassing.  Just thought I'd point that out.  Now, since I've never done a paladin, yet, because I find the Rp difficult, well I won't add to that.  However, I do play monks, and I can tell you that by itself the class can do a lot but it matters if you stick with it rather than go to other classes to receive benefits.

Arya

tenorgeneral Avatar
To be quite blunt:  Special Snowflakes aside, half-fiends are evil unless the requisite alignment/subtype changing rituals for outsiders have been waived here.

And if they have, that should be posted, as otherwise, there is no way to change your alignment as an outsider (unless we're assuming -always evil- PCs lead a life of good pre-creation so that they don't have to work through a life's-worth of evil deeds).

Alternatively, maybe we really don't care about the limits of the setting, so long as our stories are compelling to someone.  But, if we're going to ignore some of the rules, where do we draw the line?

It would be quite nice to have a listing of rules that have been altered/eliminated/changed to fit the admins' view of the server.  Because, otherwise, those of us that play by the rules, come out looking like we're wrong all the time (we very might well be as the rules seem to not be hard and fast).
...You know, it is overly aggressive, snarky, pious people like you that makes it so hard for decent roleplayers to play on this server - and people of this nature who drives them away.  Not only do I see you you argue the rules that are clearly OPINIONS of yours (in the name of 'rules' or 'canon'), and refuse to take into account counter-examples in the lore, but you also condescend people who disagree with you.  And it is done aggressively, and with all attempts to shame the opposition and make them feel awful for having their stance, despite -their- argument support.  

All I have ever seen of you beyond this thread at this point, is passive-aggressive bullying.  I am not fond of bullies, and I am certainly not fond of bullies who rule-lawyer their way into having their way.  

~Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Edge

*slow clap*

Seconding arya strongly.

Furthermore, It's mindsets like yours, tenor, that gives lawful good the bad reputation it has among roleplayers. Too many people have run into stuckup, selfrighteous depictions of paladins and other lg characters and consider them the only way to play the alignment, and it makes rping lg a pain for those of us who understand there are other ways to portray such.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

tenorgeneral

PMs sent to avoid derailing the thread any further.

Atomic Twinkie

*Whispers*

I like the update.

Thanks guys.

Nymera

Atomic Twinkie Avatar
*Whispers*

I like the update.

Thanks guys.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR MEASURED AND RESPECTFUL COMMENTARY!

sinisteromnibus

Nymera Avatar
Atomic Twinkie Avatar
*Whispers*

I like the update.

Thanks guys.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR MEASURED AND RESPECTFUL COMMENTARY!
My commentary measures two inches more respectfully than his does, just saying. :)

Back on topic: I think the mutliclassing changes are good and the new system is fair and provides an opportunity for a much more diverse range of rp from characters primarily monk-based or paladin-based. That said, I expect there -may- end up being a few combinations even in this system that need to be kept in check. We likely won't know these combinations until people start making characters with this new system and play around with it a bit.

I particularly like that divine champion or cleric levels count towards part of the majority. I may have missed it in the thread, but do things like Divine Seeker, Druid, Heirophant, Disciple of Meph, Divine Disciple, Doomguide, Heartwarder, Hospitaler, Silverstar of Selune, and Windwalker also count towards the majority (add in with paladin or monk levels) by virtue of being heavily divine-based classes or is it just specifically limited to a smaller list than all of these? Also, Blackguard as a PrC works a tad different than monk or paladin so I'm assuming it is exempt from the majority rule? Would it count towards your monk majority if you take a monk/blackguard build?

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanted to clarify things and get the thread a little back on topic.

Valimar Dragonbane

I wouldn't think that Windwalker does, since Shaundakul is a chaotic deity and most of his clerics are likewise aligned.  That would be up to the powers-what-be.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Fire Wraith

My understanding was that divine prcs of your deity would count for paladins. Base classes would not.

Monk doesn't have secondary classes like that.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

sinisteromnibus

Fire Wraith Avatar
My understanding was that divine prcs of your deity would count for paladins. Base classes would not.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Voice of Kerensky

Fire Wraith Avatar

For paladins, the following classes should apply:

Divine Champion: Counts for paladin levels in regards to smite, thus continues the class.
Divine Disciple: Continues paladin spell progression.
Hospitaler: Continues paladin spell, lay on hands, turning progression
Harper Priest: Continues paladin spell progression.

All of the others either have conflicting alignment requirements and/oror do not continue any abilities of the paladin or monk classes. However, I would suggest that thematically Divine Seeker is a good fit for at least monk if not both monk and paladin, from a thematic standpoint.