Main Menu

Taking break

Started by , Jun 25, 2015, 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just as it says,
I cannot think of CD and not have painful thoughts so, taking a break and hoping it stops.

So much crap, so much more room for decent helpful attitudes.  

-Sorn-

thorien

Hope to see you soon, Sorn. CD will miss you!

Darvins

*hugs* I hope it does because you'll be missed man, and how is Valar meant to get by without Neisha?

Fire Wraith

One thing I might suggest... and this has been a very common issue over the ten years that CD has been around...

People shouldn't take what happens IC, to their characters, personally, particularly negative consequences for actions. I'm not really sure why it's worked out that way, but it seems to constantly come up. For one, you shouldn't take it personally because of the effects it will have on you, the player. This is a game, and you shouldn't be getting bummed out about bad things happening in a game.  For one, we're going to bend over backwards to not make anything so bad that you can never come back from it. We as DMs are here to provide challenges for you to overcome. We're not here to make you fail - we're here to challenge you, because it's the challenge that makes success rewarding. But we do want you to succeed, and often smack our foreheads when players are being stubborn and insisting on digging the hole deeper for themselves.

As for the playerbase as a whole, and personal issues of who likes whom, and gets along with whom; I can only do so much about that. Some people don't get along, or for whatever reason just aren't on the same wavelength. But on the whole, I think most people who play here are pretty friendly and welcoming, even if not all of their characters are. I'd suggest talking OOCly to people, if you want to try and see about working around those IC barriers.

And ultimately, sometimes it's best to take a breather, in order to help remember all that - that it's just a game, and that it's not worth stressing overly about.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Arya

+2 to what FW said.  It is okay to get upset over IC stuff when we are attached to a character.  It happens and it is ultimately how we react that matters. In the end, though, it is still a game.  I view it like watching a very intense movie.  The movie -will- make us upset.  But in the end, it is a movie. And sometimes, time away from even a movie  can provide perspective on the story (and sometimes more appreciation for it).  

With one of my mains, I actually had to deal with some political fall out in a faction for a while.  It sucked because it was hard to feel 'in' the faction, but I also knew it was something she did. So I took that into account and the issue was less personal.  (There were a few problem players in the mix, but that was a separate matter and treated accordingly. If there is some OOC needing addressed, it needs addressed to/handled by the admins.)  

Nothing wrong with taking a breather though if that is what is needed for that perspective to return.  It happens to the best of us.  

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Wittle Dreamer

I am sorry to hear you had ill experiences. :( A shame I never got to meet you in game. I am sure we would have had a lot of fun RPing. Hope the chance will still present itself in the future.

I know how it feels like to be wronged in the past. Hope you can still find motivation to come back and play no less.

trylobyte

We'll all be here when you get back, eager for your return!  Sometimes we just need to take a break.

lb7

I can understand this myself, as I've had similar feelings awhile back which made me take on the thinking of "screw it" before stepping back and taking a breather from it all. I still haven't even regained 100% motivation myself, but a break has done wonders for me to take a step back and realize that it's really nothing to be all that stressed about.

Take it easy, man. CD isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Fire Wraith

lb7 Avatar

Take it easy, man. CD isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Yes it is!  CD is moving to Richmond in roughly 2 weeks' time.

But you all probably won't notice anything more than a few hours downtime during the day on a Saturday. ;)

That, and an updated IP address.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

lb7

Oh teh noes.

Whatever will we do!?

Arya

...All those tears are going to help water my virtual garden. And my babies will grow into human devourin--I mean, loving things!

Bwahahahahaha...

~Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

theshobit

I'll miss you in game, Sorn. We had a lot of fun. When you're ready, we can have more! <3 *hugs*