Main Menu

Constructing a CD Class Tier List

Started by trylobyte, Nov 21, 2018, 08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DubiousScroll

Edge Avatar
And while that all looks good on paper, it doesn't really pan out that well in practice.

Rogues have a lot of trouble hitting in combat that other 3/4 BAB classes lack, due to limited ways of buffing themselves, and what tricks they can use are typically UMDing another class's trick, which the other class - usually Bard or Wizard - is generally better at doing, and the Rogue is a poor man's copy thereof.

Sneak Attack is of extremely limited use on CD given so many things are immune to it.

Bard is better than Rogue at everything except traps, and only then because NWN is strictly coded to force you to have a Rogue level to deal with traps of certain DCs and higher. This goes double on CD, where Bard has been significantly buffed.

And without HIPS - which is not a Rogue trick, it's something they need to pick up from another class, either of which can be also gotten into by a Bard or Ranger or even a particularly determined Wizard - their utility drops off severely. Even with Wizard casting backing them up, ATs are visibly (pardon the pun) hampered by the lack of access to HIPS.

When they're good, they're good. But the number of times on CD that they are good is extremely limited, and when they're not good, they're pretty much useless and easily outclassed by almost any other class.

I most DEFINITELY do not find them "imbalancing" to add to a group, especially not to the level that a Swordmage or a well-built Cleric does. Speaking as a DM, I have never once had to re-adjust my quest encounters to account for having a Rogue in the party. Not once, in the nearly 15 years I've been DMing on CD. I add traps, mostly "to give the rogue something roguey to do", but that's about it.

On a server with a PvP focus, I can see Rogues being beastly, especially if they have the same access to UMDable buffs as we do. But on a PvE focused server, especially one as heavy on undead, elementals, and constructs as CD is in the higher levels, they just don't measure up. And since this is a "CD class tier list" and not a "NWN in general class tier list", I can't in all honesty ever agree with them being even a high-tier class, much less a god-tier one.
I agree with all of this and think Edge put it far better than I ever could.  I think if there weren't so many sneak/crit immune critters in the higher levels of CD it wouldn't be as big of a problem but as it is....

Edge

The good news on that is that we're in the process of trying some things with regards to changing up some of the expected standard 3e immunities to SA and crits. We'll keep you posted!
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

darthweasel

Tier list.. I sense some FGO vibes.

kingofaquilonia

Barb even with the changes is no where near top tier

Clerics are the strongest here from what I can see through reading over the changelogs and having played here awhile ago

Then arcane casters , wizards/sorcs

Then prolly this sword mage class

then bards (though I suppose they are arcane casters as well, don't nit pick : P)

then rogue

then Paladin

then fighters because of their usefulness as a splash class and not having to be so heavily invested to get a massive benefit

Then barb

Then ranger

and honestly I don't know where druid falls on the list never played one or seen one on the server do much in combat

Garage Trashcan

Never played a druid? Rai'gor literally used to be a druid before you rebuilt him.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

kingofaquilonia

I mean yeah he was a druid but he didn't get that high of a level before I rebuilt him, If I were to base him on what I played of druid I'd prolly rank it as dead last

kothoses

I saw this thread and starting think who would be an S rank, who would be A rank and if I could get away with putting Bella as B rank just because of the lettering, then I found out you were all talking classes and I was disappointed.

Garage Trashcan

I would rank anything Gav plays as an S rank anyway
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

trylobyte

With heartbeat spells working again I think we can move Druid up to High Tier - They have the best crowd control capability of any class between Stonehold, Storm of Vengeance, and Whirlwind, and the most combat-effective save-or-die spell in the game in Nature's Beauty, but struggle against anything they can't easily lock down or instakill and their other combat spells take a long time to get anything done.  They're situationally amazing, but also situationally useless, and some of their spells (Whirlwind) can accidentally wipe a party if not placed very well.

The Red Mage

Druids are immune to grease. And if heartbeat spells work, grease makes them top tier.

psieco

up.
I think sm too superestimated.
druid very strong
Rogue is strong too
Dk is strong 
Mage isnt too strong

Edge

Please do not resurrect long-dead threads.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda