Main Menu

Wildstar!

Started by sinisteromnibus, May 31, 2014, 11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Mage

The end game is essentially wow with player housing. Daily quests. Gear treadmill and such.

Garage Trashcan

lb7 Avatar
Baaaaah! Wildstar is just the illegal child of World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. ;p

Give it about six months though. They'll find ways to turn it into just another WoW.

Honestly though, I did consider it for awhile, but I find myself gravitating more towards the more action orientated adventuring and pillaging that Elder Scrolls Online has to offer.
Wildstar is an action-based system.

And considering it was made by a lot of old WoW devs, you're implying it already isn't just another WoW. I'm just giving the trial a shot. I'd likely only stick with it if my RL friends do. I've had shit luck with random guilds in the past.

ESO is a bastardization of something that is wonderful (Elder Scrolls) and something terrible (MMOs). They easily could have made an Elder Scrolls MMO... but they made and MMO that is Elder Scrolls instead, because they wanted the MMO audience, not the ES audience.

@the Red Mage

Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

lb7

Wildstar is marketted as a reactionary action-based combat system, as opposed to the old hot bars and cool down system, however in practice it actually falls in between those two categories. So its not all out action as everything you do aside for jumping and dodging has a hot bar cool down on it. On the other hand most things you do have to be aimed in some sense, and there is that challenge of difficulty especially as you get to the higher levels. Overall though its an experiment between systems that doesen't really appeal to me.

What really bothers me though is the wasted potential. Wildstar is a Sci-fi space based game with wonderful technology, spaceships, lasers, and all that good stuff. But that potential is wasted on the fact that all of this only ever takes place on one planet. Not to mention the fact that a vast number of quests do very little to appeal you to actually care about the story of any of it. Once in awhile you'll run along a quest that puts a smile on your face but for the most part, the quests and story lack any real compelling drama to it. If you liked all of the WoW quests, then maybe, just maybe you'll come to appreciate the "kill and collect 20 space tiger pelts" quests that seem to be common place, with the occasional appealing quest.

The game tries to fill the gaps it suffers, with its humor. Humor that I feel only a 12 year old girl would find funny, but thats neither here nor there, you bleeping cupcakes. ;p

Overall its not bad, its potential wasted here and there, but I feel thats all stuff that can be rectified in the future (Or ruined in the future, depending on what they do with it).

Garage Trashcan

lb7 Avatar
Wildstar is marketted as a reactionary action-based combat system, as opposed to the old hot bars and cool down system, however in practice it actually falls in between those two categories. So its not all out action as everything you do aside for jumping and dodging has a hot bar cool down on it. On the other hand most things you do have to be aimed in some sense, and there is that challenge of difficulty especially as you get to the higher levels. Overall though its an experiment between systems that doesen't really appeal to me.

What really bothers me though is the wasted potential. Wildstar is a Sci-fi space based game with wonderful technology, spaceships, lasers, and all that good stuff. But that potential is wasted on the fact that all of this only ever takes place on one planet. Not to mention the fact that a vast number of quests do very little to appeal you to actually care about the story of any of it. Once in awhile you'll run along a quest that puts a smile on your face but for the most part, the quests and story lack any real compelling drama to it. If you liked all of the WoW quests, then maybe, just maybe you'll come to appreciate the "kill and collect 20 space tiger pelts" quests that seem to be common place, with the occasional appealing quest.

The game tries to fill the gaps it suffers, with its humor. Humor that I feel only a 12 year old girl would find funny, but thats neither here nor there, you bleeping cupcakes. ;p

Overall its not bad, its potential wasted here and there, but I feel thats all stuff that can be rectified in the future (Or ruined in the future, depending on what they do with it).
It tries too hard to be Borderlands with its in-your-face humor and it falls short. They try to make everything seem awesome and ridiculous (they even picked up BL's used of the word "badassitude" in some places), yet it doesn't deliver. Sure, enemies explode into tiny chunks of meat, which at first is a bit of a giggle, but gets old quickly. There's no guns that shoot exploding swords that explode into more exploding swords. There's no face-melting rays. It's not nearly as ridiculous as it tries to be (even though I am a hamster with a handlebar mustache and a voodoo mask).

I'm playing because I got a trial from my friends so we're hanging around together. The game seems to move so slow with its massive zones and trillions of quests...it doesn't make it seem awesome and expansive, it makes it daunting and a chore and you very easily end up losing track of your quests because even from one hub, they all send you in a different direction towards hubs with more quests etc. Even the early leveling is slow. MMO fans are just on the hype-train and I'm the type of person who plays a game for 2-4 weeks, then puts it down, not playing consistently most days of the week for months or years.

IMO Neverwinter handled the action-combat w/ cooldowns better since you could actually manage your abilities while moving with its fewer abilities. Here your entire set of number keys is taken up and most abilities are mobile while channeling/casting. Moving around through red and getting positioning while using your actives is possible, but impractical. If you don't have a 12-button mouse or a gamepad, people with smaller hands or slower fingers can easily get tangled (I frequently end up placing my left hand back in the wrong space after doing some contorting).

lb7

Honestly I think gamers in general are left with a gap in their hearts from ESO as it's still struggling to fully get on its feet. Expectations were high, and it didn't quite live up to its hype I feel. Some are also not particularily feeling patient enough to wait for ESO to sort out some of its problems and broken ends here and there (Seriously though, its only been out two months, and you can't make magic happen in programming, but I digress).

Granted, most of ESO's problems and bugs are more irritating things with a handful of exploits, a couple of which have already been corrected, but still. Doesen't stop people from complaining. ;p

Not to say that ESO is perfect though, I have a different set of gripes for that game.

Garage Trashcan

lb7 Avatar
Honestly I think gamers in general are left with a gap in their hearts from ESO as it's still struggling to fully get on its feet. Expectations were high, and it didn't quite live up to its hype I feel. Some are also not particularily feeling patient enough to wait for ESO to sort out some of its problems and broken ends here and there (Seriously though, its only been out two months, and you can't make magic happen in programming, but I digress).

Granted, most of ESO's problems and bugs are more irritating things with a handful of exploits, a couple of which have already been corrected, but still. Doesen't stop people from complaining. ;p

Not to say that ESO is perfect though, I have a different set of gripes for that game.
ES games are always buggy, solely because of the sheer mass. Alpha and beta are still relatively small-scale testing, they can't expect everything to be fixed. Instead of hopping on the hype train people should wait a few months to see how the game does and give them a chance to handle balance and bugfixes.

lb7

That is true of all Elder Scrolls games, yes. I still remember the old days of the very second one, Daggerfall. an old and fun game, but half broken in bugs from the sheer size and freedom of it. I'm not sure how big the testing phase was, but a lot of times people that beta test aren't in it for the bug finding strictly, they are in it to see what the games all about and enjoy it a little.