Main Menu

Questions

Started by tarriel, Sep 27, 2015, 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarriel

So for someone with a blacksmith character:

What level of craft armor/weapon would be required for a character to forge something of Masterwork quality or of exotic materials? (Mithral, Adamantine, Silver, various alloys etc.) 

Also, would any of the feats be needed for work of that level? I know the craft weapon/wondrous feats are for magical items, so may not apply to just "Masterwork".

Kymus

I'm likewise curious as to how skill points in craft weapon and craft armor affect the item made, if at all. Is a there a DC needed to craft certain items, or are just the feats and forge needed?

Dismus

In the past you could craft masterwork items.

sinisteromnibus

Last I heard the crafting skills are completely irrelevant now. An admin can probably clarify more, but with FW's custom crafting system pretty much the only thing that matters now is your investment in crafting feats and your caster level.

Kymus

sinisteromnibus Avatar
Last I heard the crafting skills are completely irrelevant now. An admin can probably clarify more, but with FW's custom crafting system pretty much the only thing that matters now is your investment in crafting feats and your caster level.
That's what I kinda figured. Thanks :)

Edge

The main issue with these sorts of skills, and the items you can make from them, is that they're either low-quality Masterwork stuff that a starting player can buy in their first five minutes on the server, or in the case of things like Mithral and Adamantine Armor, extremely high-level items that would require a check from a character of equivalent level (16+) to create.

So in the former case there's really no purpose other than novelty, and in the latter case it becomes an issue of cost of the in-game item and its (deliberate) semi-rarity in the loot versus the skill investment and ability to acquire necessary parts and resources, and that's something the staff has never quite gotten to working out.

There's been some suggestion, at least admin-side, of possibly implementing a system similar to Pathfinder's Master Craftsman ability that lets non-casters with extremely high (read: near-Epic and beyond) crafting skills to actually make magic items, but at this point the question becomes how such a skill would interact with our current crafting script mechanics and so forth.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Deleted

Moved to the appropriate forum.  :)

My personal opinion is to require a minimum of 20 ranks in Craft Armor in order to forge Mithril or Adamantine armors.  The DC would then still be fairly high.  The rarity of the materials, and the amount of materials needed, would balance out with the frequency of the armors in loot drops.

Dismus

For Norak to make a set of Adamantine armor it took like 40 bars of adamantine I believe and almost 6 months to collect that much.

Deleted

Definitely need to examine the amount of materials required to craft adamantine and mithril armors.  The smithing system needed an overhaul anyway.

onivel

Jay still has/uses the pair of Mithril Short Swords that Norak made for him and Rhea enchanted   : )

There are more powerful swords out there.. but he is attached to those.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.