Main Menu

Out for a Week

Started by Edge, Dec 12, 2014, 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edge

So my idiot cat, after chewing through two DSL cables, two Nintendo DS cords, and the cord to the noisemaker I use to help me sleep, finally threw the last straw yesterday by chewing through the power cord for my modem. Attempts to acquire a new cord that works have failed, and it doesn't look like the modem's company sells them separately. So I've ordered a new modem; unfortunately since DSL modems are apparently rare as hell, you have to order them off Walmart's online store, which means waiting for shipping time.

Long story short, I won't be fully back online at home until next Thursday at the earliest, and that's barring any further surprises. I might be able to pop on via Skype on my phone, but I won't be able to voice chat and I won't be able to be on NWN.

The good news is that the new modem will be a combination modem/router, so I can stash it on a high shelf out of cat-reach. That should prevent further incidents, I hope.

Here's hoping that the shipping, the install, and the setup will go without incident. See you guys in a week. I'll still be able to pop on the forums from work, from time to time.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Nevermore

Our Kitten did the same thing earlier in the year. I am so sorry to hear this,and hope it gets there faster then expected!

sinisteromnibus

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope in the week without net you get to spend lots of time playing with said cat as it's probably doing this because it desires attention. :(

If not, you have a week to chase the cat around the house with a broom. :)

Edge

I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to see what her issue is.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

onivel

Sorry to here that. We'll miss you IG. Pray for speedy delivery!

" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

Arya

Sending prayers your way. If that helps for you. :-)

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

theshobit

Awww. Good luck, Edge! Bad bad kitty. :/

Bad kitty is lucky to be alive at all.  Your cat has a serious misunderstanding of electric currents man.  I hope the cat learns to stop or maybe electrical tape around the cords or something else?  Spray them to make a terrible smell?

Ogre Time Yay

I know the feeling... My cat had the habit of laying down on my keyboard while I was using it. Nothing we can do though, we can't help but love the little bastards...
I hope things get back in order for you soon.

Edge

Well, according to FedEx the modem arrived at Walmart this morning. I have yet to receive the notification from Walmart itself, but I'll be swinging by after work regardless. So I might be fortunate enough to only be out for a weekend, rather than a full week =)

Edge

And if last night wasn't proof enough, I am back =) Here's hoping the precautions I've put up will be enough to dissuade further damage.

Colin Mack

Coat the cable in a little vinager. I had a friend who's cat kept eating his warhamer dwarves so he stuck some random bits on a base and then coated them in vinager and bam the cat never touched them again.

Edge

Lemon juice seems to be doing the job for me =) I've also seen tabasco recommended.