Main Menu

Player Inventory and You: How Not to Glitch Gear

Started by sinisteromnibus, Aug 16, 2015, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinisteromnibus

Hey everyone.

So, we've had a few new players join up to the server recently - which is awesome! Thank you guys so much for coming to play with us, and I hope you're having fun. Anyway, we've some new players who joined up so I thought I'd post up this reminder for everyone about something I like to call 'inventory management'.

See, on CD - like on many nwn servers - the machine housing the server can at times suffer hiccups and glitches. One of the more common ones is when you go to unequip an item but don't have space for it in your first inventory page. In such a case -sometimes- your item will not be placed in a lower inventory page like the system normally does but instead said item will fall to the ground and become 'stuck' in the floor. You can highlight it by mousing over it, right-click it to get its description, and even see it highlighted when you press tab...but no matter how much you click on it your character will not be able to pick that item up again - ever. It's gone.

So, to avoid the server 'eating' any of your items always make sure you have room in your first inventory page for any items that you 'quick-swap' (usually weapons and shields). For my part, I attempt to always keep my first 2 inventory pages clear just to be safe.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck out there!

valiea987

sinisteromnibus Avatar
Hey everyone.

So, we've had a few new players join up to the server recently - which is awesome! Thank you guys so much for coming to play with us, and I hope you're having fun. Anyway, we've some new players who joined up so I thought I'd post up this reminder for everyone about something I like to call 'inventory management'.

See, on CD - like on many nwn servers - the machine housing the server can at times suffer hiccups and glitches. One of the more common ones is when you go to unequip an item but don't have space for it in your first inventory page. In such a case -sometimes- your item will not be placed in a lower inventory page like the system normally does but instead said item will fall to the ground and become 'stuck' in the floor. You can highlight it by mousing over it, right-click it to get its description, and even see it highlighted when you press tab...but no matter how much you click on it your character will not be able to pick that item up again - ever. It's gone.

So, to avoid the server 'eating' any of your items always make sure you have room in your first inventory page for any items that you 'quick-swap' (usually weapons and shields). For my part, I attempt to always keep my first 2 inventory pages clear just to be safe.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck out there!

The first page thing is -really- good to know... My entire first page is packed full, 100%, every single slot with every clickie, buff, healing kit, potion, rez scroll, etc. I have for quick access. Time to move that page... Lol.

sinisteromnibus

I used to be the same...until I lost my first purple item I ever got (a Dwarven War Helm for those curious) and it took me a week real time to find a replacement helm (a tier 3 that was much less useful). Eventually I found another Dwarven War Helm...but then lost a very hard to find purple Scimitar for the very same reason. :( Now I keep all my clickies and quick usables on page 3 of my inventory. It took a little bit of time to get used to going to that page first when I need something, but now I don't really feel like I lose any time doing so.

valiea987

Is there a keybind to quickly go to a page? So you can press I to open inventory, and then something else to quick swap to the page you want? I think I could get that reflex much easier than clicking a page.

Edge

I believe [ and ] cycle up and down through inventory pages respectively.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Colin Mack

I usually carry a couple of bags on my players so that when adventuring i can put the loot in the bags this usually means i have never had a problem as i have a bag i can put the items in (ussually one of the chests from a certain provider) and that helps me. Just an idea people

ClockworkMayhem

I do put loot in boxes and bags. I have a lot of things, however, and sometimes, I need to switch out gear. Sometimes I have too much loot for all the boxes, and it has to go in a panel. Then I switch something and it drops. So yeah - it's a good idea to keep that first panel free. I've lost things before. Vince explained to me that leaving the first panel free would prevent that - I'm inclined to listen.

onivel

valiea987 Avatar
Is there a keybind to quickly go to a page? So you can press I to open inventory, and then something else to quick swap to the page you want? I think I could get that reflex much easier than clicking a page.
The inventory page usually opens to the last page you used... so if all your quick access stuff is on page three... if you are on page 3 when you exit your inventory, most times you will go to page three the next time you open it. 
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.