Main Menu

Portal keys list.

Started by thorien, Oct 23, 2014, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorien

Is there some kind of list available? I was looking for it, but apparently i'm blind.

Edge

There is not. This was originally so that players would be required/forced to discover the keys via in-game RP or discovery. However, that's fairly impractical now, between the Teleport Key Finder almost never working as intended and the general lower population of the server.

I have a list on Caprice's journal. If the rest of the staff has no objections, I'll post it when I get home. It might not be complete, fair warning.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Garage Trashcan

I wouldn't object to PMing you a list, I've done that before.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

thorien

It was about list of popular places. I understand that some of them should be ICly discovered. :)

Garage Trashcan

There actually aren't really any "secret" teleport keys, just those tied to player-owned areas and therefore for private use. Otherwise, most of the keys are either A) The name of the area or older name for that area B) Some small variation of that so it's more like "learning" it as opposed to just saying the name.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Deleted

Some "secret" teleport keys are those set to Hidden.

However, the IC reason for the list NOT being on the forums is that it is very hazardous/difficult to teleport to areas you haven't seen/visited.  Those popular places have keys that the Teleport Key finder should report, once you're in the area.

Fire Wraith

I'd say as long as it's just the major ones, places that can be reached with Caravans anyway, that's not a big deal. (Essentially all the key towns)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

thorien

Yup, that's the point Fire. And Teleport Key Finder... *facepalm*... totally forgot about it, thank you Bella!

The Red Mage

Yeah, it's become a little eye-crossing these days between no one really wandering around the server and everyone teleporting around. Either you're teleporting everywhere and crystalling back or you're wandering around pinging random areas with the widget to hope to find something. You're kind of not suppose to tell people IC, because they are suppose to figure it out, but most players will whisper you the location if you ask. My PC may sell you the information.

Fire Wraith

On the other hand, it means there's oh so much stuff to explore, because there are places that even long-time players have never been. It's a really big module, so big that we had to split off the dungeons into another NWN instance. There's tons of places for plots, schemes, homesteading, new dungeons, etc. :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Yaldabaoth

Some of the areas won't give you a key even if you're in the area.  Myself and another player had to spend the better part of 2 hours guessing the portal key for the Drunken Badger Inn one day.  It has a very unintuitively named portal key.

Edge

Yep. Hence why I've kept a list, because inevitably I'll forget some of the more complex/illogical ones and be unable to guess them.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Fire Wraith

Incidentally, if there are public areas like that which seem like they should have a teleport key visible, and it's not showing up, let us know and we'll take a look.

Deleted

Velethuil's treetop area's key is hidden.

lb7

I actually seem to recall that a list was posted for at least all of the major towns in the module, but for some reason that thread was deleted. If it's /not/ going to get deleted, I could re-post that list, omitting any "dungeon teleports" that might be in that list, and by that I mean any non-town teleports that are close to dungeons, this list would be towns only.

Also, my issue with the Teleport Key Finder is that it's a pain in the ass for it to only be three uses per day, when the only criteria needed for a teleport is that you have a clear mental picture of the place you are teleporting to, and know it's name. For the D&D greater variant of it you don't even need to visit the location to teleport to it; just an accurate description of it, as long as you know what the place is called.