Main Menu

Gamers take note

Started by morwen, Sep 02, 2014, 08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally someone said it!

Garage Trashcan

Gross overgeneralizations?

Game journalism being corrupt?

Last time I checked, all forms of journalism were corrupt.

It is so incredibly disappointing that the minority and the "bro gamers" have given us such a negative image. As they say, whomever yells the loudest gets the most attention. People don't care that the "average" gamer isn't a caffeine-pumping 14-year-old; it's a late-twenties/early-thirties, politically-informed, full-time job, productive member of society, just like everyone else.

They don't get attention because they don't scream.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Valimar Dragonbane

Yeah, that's pretty typical "journalism" there.  Idiots and mouth-breathers, the lot of them.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Glad we can say we're more so than.  By Leaps and bounds.  

Darvins

When even Will Wheaton is saying he's ashamed to be a Gamer you know a fortnight was bad, really bad. This fortnight has been depressing on that front. On the plus side I think it's because this is reaching critical mass, the market is changing and that change is now irreversable that is what makes them so nasty, that last desperate throw of the dice, but it's doomed to fail.

Publishers can smell the money and the money is in having as large a customer base as they can get, not in limiting themselves to a customer base they have already tapped out. Do I think the tag Gamer will die out, no, it will still refer to Table top fans after all but it might be less useful to describe a computer gamer, since we are reaching the point where a large section of folks you meet would call themselves that. At some point it may be as common as someone going to the movies, or watching TV.

Ogre Time Yay

Like Demonic said, the toxic crowd of gamers, ones that brought alot of attention to games like League of Legends, are actually a small crowd.
I consider myself a gamer, been playing games my entire life, it's something I'll likely never drop as it just became a normal part of my life. My brother and I never tried to shank each other if one of us died early in Contra, nor have I ever felt the need to give death threats to someone who kicked my ass in a competitive game. This toxic behavior isn't native to gamers, therefore I wouldn't call it a gamer trait, the sad truth is that this toxic behavior is present in almost all crowds as there are just -some- people that give everyone else a bad name.

Thing is, I'm one of those guys who are proud to call themselves a Gamer, not because I'm trying to be apart of some crowd or anything, or that I'm trying to prove I'm superior than others, but because some time back there was a time (at least where I lived) where if you played video games, you were considered a degenerate, someone who wouldn't make it in school, never get a job, lazily mooch off of his or her parents their entire life or resort to a life of petty crimes, and generally someone that people didn't want to associate with. From then, to now, that stereotype has been proven wrong time and time again, people are actually starting to ditch that, I'm even seeing fads formed from gaming communities.

All this article tells me is that we're moving from one stereotype to another, and most of the folks falling in front of the crosshairs of this generalization aren't actually to blame, nor had a say in it.

morwen

Small groups of dedicated jerk wads can tar entire nations. It's something that should be taken into account. There's a type of person that's just incredibly aggressive about being as obnoxious and offensive as possible. I remember when NWN was full of them and they made regular appearances on all popular servers.

aceheart

I have to doubt whether a site called "Jacobin" with a little logo getting some sort of stylish push off a bunch of executionnists, is from the same planet enough to understand how large and layered gamer culture as it's defined now really is. The name itself prioritizes style over substance, which makes it unsurprising the piece is just a cookie cutter PC bit.

Arya

The article is not wrong, but eh.  Like many others say, the loudmouth twits get more attention by the media than the other sorts.

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

thorien

morwen Avatar
Small groups of dedicated jerk wads can tar entire nations. (..)
That's so true...

The Red Mage

Eh.. it's still not as bad as saying you rolepay.

Valimar Dragonbane

The Red Mage Avatar
Eh.. it's still not as bad as saying you rolepay.
Or LARP.

Those still carry all sorts of negative aspects.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Arya

Yeah.

I have done a lot of DMing, and borderline-administrative work on my time in NWN, especially here. And I can never, ever put that on a resume, even if it would guarantee some awesome positions if it were not for...the gamer stigma.  That stuff tends to make people think you have absolutely no life.

...Well, that is partially true, but for the opposite reasons of what they might think. <.<

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow