Main Menu

Pale Mastery, Necromancy, Ect

Started by TheWrathOfInnos, Feb 10, 2016, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Batman

How the arm has been RPed by some in the past has mostly been to wear an excess of clothing over the limb itself, and just remain heavily garbed. I've not interacted with many pale masters, but the ones I have also employed illusions as a secondary layer of protection, as well as getting creative with salvaged flesh to "coat" the arm in stolen muscle/skin/tissue and simply roll a disguise check should the need arise (This check would be  pretty high generally as you're trying to pass off dead rotting flesh as living tissue).

My suggestion, if I were to take this class I would have multiple forms against detection. The coating of the arm in flesh would be the last defense, as it is the most difficult to work with. Secondly, wrap the arm in bandages that have been soaked in potent perfumes and even wrap some fragrant herbs about the arm as well. Illusions would have to be fully distributed about the body as any individual with True Sight can determine "Hey, only their arm is covered in illusions...wait a minute". All else fails, your PC can just lie. Make up some story about a withering touch used against them that left the arm a mangled husk. Kind of like what happens whenever Lord Soth touches someone!

Deleted

That's half the point though. One simply does not enter an arena, and assume that they are automatically granted a level of sanctuary. If someone is going to exist out of their element, then they should prepare to be discovered and dealt with. It's just as fair for the defender as the aggressor. To turn your words a bit, I'd be wary of the idea that an entire character could be destroyed on the basis of not being allowed a fair skill check, or some sort of counter or defense.

TheWrathOfInnos

That's fair, though one doesn't need to assume that all PMs are going to be cackling CE maniacs that want all the things dead. :P

At any rate, this thread has been enlightening to the degree that I at least think it'd be more hassle than it's worth to play a PM here given the setting and enforced level stratification. Unless I want to chill in the UD or Stonehaven all day. And yes I toyed with making a Wizard/PM/Skymage because I want to play the 'make the least playable CD character' game I guess.

Edge

silverghost Avatar
Feb 10, 2016 16:32:47 GMT -5  @silverghost said:
Also, it becomes a bit metagamey, and cumbersome when people have TS up. There is no animation, so nothing to justify a question. And I can't see the player of a character that had something to hide sending everyone in the area a tell saying 'do you have TS up, btw?"
TS causes a character's eyes to glow blue when active.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

carp6

You should at least have a good solid reason to request or even make a roll for that said skill check for either people involved.  You can't just go around saying well something is funny here I will just use my super uber spot skill here to see whats going on.  No you need more than just something smells funny.  Gather more information on why you think a character might be such.  Have more of a cause to make a roll.  

Guys, first off, i played one for a longtime.  Second, accepting a bone arm and not using complicated magic to permanent fix it to something else?  This has been done, and a lot of other small cosmetic things to make you look more yourself, than some undead hybrid thing.  Mind you, it should mean that your character has to take precautions to ensure you aren't given away.  But, the idea isn't far off to use something more flesh like, rather than bone like.  As for the other things, immunities, that can be done in various ways, mind you... with these immunities comes a price, and Pale Masters do not get off easy.  What if your arm takes over sometimes?  What if it gains a conscious awareness of itself and you?  Mind you, I've quit the PRC because it no longer fit my character's Rp, but the time was fairly fun.  

Any more thoughts, Pm me.    

Fire Wraith

We generally haven't allowed Truesight to pierce the veil of anything concealing a player's appearance, so long as it's reasonably concealed. Otherwise any number of races would be entirely unplayable, through no real fault of their own, mostly because past experience has indicated to us that trying to properly police that is a fool's errand.

The same goes for the alignment detection spells, and paladin detect evil. We had to limit them to NPC and hostile targets only, because we had far too many "accidental" uses that were pretty much deliberate/metagamey.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Fire Wraith

TheWrathOfInnos Avatar
I will admit to being a bit wary of the idea that an entire character could be destroyed on basis of failing a skill check one had no way of passing (Level 10 vs a level 25, for example). So I'd hope that there'd need to be some suspicion/interest garnered beforehand and not just 'I look really intently at anyone I ever meet ever'. :P
As I noted above, we're not keen on random spells/skills being used to "out" and destroy an otherwise reasonable played, subtle, but magically or otherwise concealed, character. There are some that have been around for several years - you just don't know it, because they're the quiet ones who play their hidden role well.

We are especially against mechanics like that being used indiscriminately, such as the "Evil Detection Radar" that we had problems with early on. It's one thing to be suspicious of Fred, who wears all black, decorates his armor with skulls and blood red trim, and talks about how much he loves slaughtering things, and another to see a random normal-seeming character like Bob walk up, go "ah ha, he's an evil undead demon necromancer blackguard!" and proceed to start lobbing detections at him. (But even in Fred's case, we still rule that using Detect Evil on him is a PVP/hostile act)

Incidentally, we also decided that true/actual undead PCs, like full vampires, were just not workable, because there's no way we could prevent them from being outed at higher levels by the fact that mass heal spells will damage them.

Bottom line though - outing characters is not something to be done lightly, or that we take lightly. It's a big deal, especially because some of them will become unplayable as a result, or at the very least not be playable in the way they were. We're not keen on it getting metagamed, or being pushed by someone who merely wants to "win" and tries to turn this into a Good vs Evil/Red vs Blue/Black vs White/etc competition where they feel compelled to destroy other peoples' characters just because.

Hope that helps :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

kothoses

TheWrathOfInnos Avatar
I will admit to being a bit wary of the idea that an entire character could be destroyed on basis of failing a skill check one had no way of passing (Level 10 vs a level 25, for example). So I'd hope that there'd need to be some suspicion/interest garnered beforehand and not just 'I look really intently at anyone I ever meet ever'. :P

Just wear a hood, and you will be fine.

All joking aside (and it was a joke so dont get butthurt my little drow friends) on CD there is a house rule / unwritten rule of live and let live.  Its why evil races such as drow can if they disguise them selves hang around the square next to Paladins, and why half fiends and Tieflings can chit chat about Paladins boobies and such.

Basically aslong as the player makes some effort to cover it up so there is IC plausible deniability for those who would otherwise have to face RP consequences people tend to OOCly turn a blind eye and act ICly as if they dont know.

Likewise those playing ebull types are also expected to make an effort to pass them selves off as a civilized member of society in the days before the political media existed to convince people that evil should be elected to govern them.

Basically, make a bit of effort to cover it up, dont be all muhahaha I r Kefka in the square and you should be fine, most people I have met on this server are very cool that way as long as you give them a way to be.

Deleted

That really, and unfairly, facilitates the evils though, as they can rub shoulders with all the people they want to do evil against, with no chance of discovery. Don't get me wrong here either, I'm all about the 'live and let live thing', but we're talking about an equality that favors one side more than the other ,which is then not equal at all. 'Live and let live', until the evil guy has all the information s/he needs and turns their evil plans loose on the good guys....who've had /all/ this time to figure it out,and protect themselves, and others.

Again, don't get me wrong here. I want everyone to be able to have fun and play together, so don't read /too/ much into my post. I just think there is more room for 'fair for all' in this scenario.

destinysdesire

Honestly, if you get caught, prepare to be turned in....in all fairness if you ARE suspected...it SHOULD be acted on. I already see this IG where someone is reported as a Necromancer....but no one will do anything....so yeah...its really IC for the paladins and such to ignore the ideals of a Necromancer growing in power??
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Valimar Dragonbane

destinysdesire Avatar
Honestly, if you get caught, prepare to be turned in....in all fairness if you ARE suspected...it SHOULD be acted on. I already see this IG where someone is reported as a Necromancer....but no one will do anything....so yeah...its really IC for the paladins and such to ignore the ideals of a Necromancer growing in power??
Has said reported person been reported to Arabel authorities?  That, I would suspect, get the ball rolling to some sort of consequence IG.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

destinysdesire

They have been reported to paladins, a noble, a number of players...I dont know any players in the guards...
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Valimar Dragonbane

Players aren't members of the guard faction.  All guards are controlled by DMs/Admins.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

destinysdesire

Having played a large number of Paladins....I find it very strange OOCly to tell them that there is a Necromancer growing in power...and being told that until there is substantial proof of such...there is not even gonna be an investigation, that their hands are tied...that comes across as a bit of an OOC thing...