Main Menu

Beamdog Announces Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Started by Nymera, Nov 21, 2017, 12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkerabove

If it weren't for the 20 bucks I shilled out for BG EE when it came out, which actually sucks compared to the classic and was buggy as hell, I might not be expecting disappointment and lies so much from Beamdog for NWN.

Embra

If it is utilized and perks more interest in NWN, here is my $20!

allatum

The EE is going to be on Steam. So in the long run, unless people are real diehard about the original client, you're likely to see more server traffic out of a switch.

Edge

Now there's something even better. I already run my own NWN thru Steam, this just would remove the middleman.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Darvins

I'm not against the idea, myself, but yeah I wouldn't want to be one of the first wave servers making the switch, let others discover the pitfalls

Nokteronoth

I'd be willing to get a handful of gift copies for people, maybe, if it ended up worth the cost just to keep the server together. Ya'll cool peeps and I don't want to go looking for another server again.

~BR

Kymus

Edge Avatar
Kinda surprised by the number of people not willing to part with $20.
Ditto on that. I'll jump at the opportunity and I don't understand half of what these features do. I dunno.. I feel like, I love this game, and it has the potential to last forever, and this update will greatly extend its lifespan with new hardware and better resolutions and such, so I'll gladly spend a measly $20 for the game and I'd even be willing to chip in to help others buy a copy if they're living dollar to dollar. That's just me and my POV though  :-/

FaeFae

I'd pay just to have the OS scale. Dear goodness. This game is an abomination at 3440x1440 so I play with a tiny, tiny window in the corner. Haha.

Ballistic_Dummy

It looks to me like the UI was scaled and they added depth of field, essentially it is the same game, not sure if worth the money.

allatum

Ballistic_Dummy Avatar
It looks to me like the UI was scaled and they added depth of field, essentially it is the same game, not sure if worth the money.

if you look at it that way then base NWN was never worth the money. They're already got a lot of stuff planned that's only going to see players benefit from skilled development on modules/servers. Like making it so you won't need overrides to have custom base classes, since haks will pre-load. What remains to be seen is if they'll work out an autodownloader.

Ryoko Honda

This is a good thing. A return to NWN in mainstream will bring life back to online rp in the way we do things. I will certainly be buying the game.

trylobyte

I'll definitely be picking it up eventually, but I'm not expecting to be one of the first-wave buyers and I honestly don't expect CD to be one of the first wave of servers to convert either. Also, remember that to some people $20 is a decent chunk of money, so we need to make sure it's worth the cost for those folks to pick up.  I'm hoping that if they get community engagement and stick with the project it'll be well worth it for everyone, especially if they can break into the blackbox and add more support for custom features we can't currently access.

Ryoko Honda

Whatever happens. Progress and development for this project going forward has to be watched carefully, and decisions made carefully. NWN2 was big disappointment it even killed entire servers. With any luck, this Enhanced Edition will just be 2.0 Patch, and not entire new game where these communities will be forced to rebuild there entire PW. That would be disaster.

Woodland Mist

I've already pre-ordered one of each version to support this effort.  What these guys did with Baldur's Gate II improvements was great, both in well thought out refinements to the game interface and in weaving new characters into the story.

I do not share the pessimism some have voiced.  Proof will be in the end product and what may result from it, naturally, but this has potential to breathe some new life and player interest into NWN.

Garage Trashcan

Edge Avatar
Kinda surprised by the number of people not willing to part with $20.
It's that it's $20 for a 15-year-old game. This time of year, I can get a game that came out 6 months ago for that price. And that if a server converts, every single player now needs to upgrade if they still want to play there. It's nice to see a few people offering to gift it to their friends. Sure, a $20 price point is low enough to easily reach most people's "value" point for time/vs investment, but it still seems off to a lot of people (including myself) to pay that much for something so old.

At the very least, I see it being out for a few years and it having to have gone on multiple Steam sales before some servers make the jump, which means a lot of people would be sitting on it that long before they actually got to use it >.>

But hell, I'm just a lurker echoing things other people have already said.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich