Main Menu

Complete Healing Kits?...

Started by Ogre Time Yay, Nov 25, 2014, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realityjumper

Like Bella said, make sure they're expensive. I'm all for that.

My characters tend more to the poor side (I don't adventure often or accrue gold as many do), but when they DO go to the field, the potions wouldn't help them heal others. They need things they can use to help others.  

I like the idea of scrolls or wands if we don't have the heal kits.

"Death floats on the air, creeps through the window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died." ~ Raistlin Majere

Deleted

Edge Avatar
I don't consider it an issue. It's still a skill investment that not everyone can afford to make - or won't for RP reasons, in some cases - and if you did put it in, yay for you.
Except the skill investment in UMD here pays off in wild spades for multiple factors (attack, defense, etc.) with scrolls it would be even BETTER than heal kits as its no AOO, no roll d20 roll on the heal skill since you are in combat to get the HP total and so you get a guaranteed fixed amount of heal. Heal skill in combat is good for one thing...using healing kits so heal gets a little more cred as a skill point sink than UMD.

UMD doesn't need anything else to feed it via scrolls. Adding stacks of heal scrolls regardless of cost favors UMD 'casters' hugely whereas heal kits are at least equally an option to those who've invested the skill points in heal (which is a class skill for all the base classes where as UMD is not).

Imo wands are sufficiently gimped by forcing them to be equipped this isn't quite as bad suboptimal enough to be an equal or worse trade off for the AOO you have to take on potions.

Vincent07

Garage Trashcan Avatar
I don't know how people didn't have 1000+ of those saved up >.> *cough*

This should never be a thing. Honestly. It's nuts.  Keep 2-3 stacks (100-stack), if you are running out then you are likely too low level for where you are.  Also, the risk of running low on supplies can make things very interesting.

Secondarily, carrying that much contributes to lag.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

realityjumper

And not all characters have a ton of money. Mine are continually broke.
"Death floats on the air, creeps through the window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died." ~ Raistlin Majere

Edge

It tends to vary between mine. Caprice and Kendaku are pretty well off financially, Kestal and Lia slightly less so. Faethe is usually broke. Edge, Shezzarin, and Raven have almost zilch.

Not surprisingly, the characters who can solo or who are at/near level 15+ are well off, the characters who can't survive long on their own are poor.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Garage Trashcan

Vincent07 Avatar
Garage Trashcan Avatar
I don't know how people didn't have 1000+ of those saved up >.> *cough*

This should never be a thing. Honestly. It's nuts.  Keep 2-3 stacks (100-stack), if you are running out then you are likely too low level for where you are.  Also, the risk of running low on supplies can make things very interesting.

Secondarily, carrying that much contributes to lag.
I'm not the one who made medic bags have 0% weight, just saying. And it's far less lag than people with gem hoards like some of the half-dragon characters or those with enough extra items to supply a small militia.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Edge

Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Garage Trashcan

I stand corrected.

Felix only has 265, and the most I think I ever had was 600.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Vincent07

The weight reduction was a concession made to the very low STR characters so they could at least carry what they needed, not so that people can carry thousands of kits/potions.  Personally it just takes a lot of the challenge away if you have an infinite supply of healing items at your disposal.   Though I suppose if I found it really a horrid issue, I'd just impose a cap via a scripted cap. I don't generally like those though.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Darvins

Hmm I was thinking on this, and I was curious, could said kits be brought back but with a skill check? So that to use them someone has to have a set amoutn of heal skill, as it does tend to make it feel like someone who has invested in the heal skill.... is being frozen out of healing people. If the healing is now being provided by potions I mean, it just seems strange.