Main Menu

Gem Cage Discussion

Started by , Oct 14, 2014, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trylobyte

Gemcage will be difficult to calculate because a lot of current epic spells have a DC decided by the DMs for balance reasons.  Because of the spell's nature, I imagine Gemcage would have a DC close to Momento Mori.  On the development of the spell, though, I'd like to discuss that with you at some point Kip.  Aelie wants it too, and I've had an idea for a while...

Remmy

I, uh, think you have a strange sense of Gem Cage's power. It is just an alternate form of the Imprisonment spell, with a gem being the prison instead of an extradimensional space and a DC 1 higher than Imprisonment. Memento Mori is so powerful because it has an inflated DC over other spells and is quickened, stilled, and silent. Imprisonment is allowed on the server within reason, so I see no reason why an alternate form could not be, especially when it is something that can only be RP'ed out, not physically cast to force the issue... but that is just my two cents.

dom101

This was scripted on G/C.  I remember watching Kranis unleash an epic level monster on people in Sigil.

trylobyte

Remmy Avatar
I, uh, think you have a strange sense of Gem Cage's power. It is just an alternate form of the Imprisonment spell, with a gem being the prison instead of an extradimensional space and a DC 1 higher than Imprisonment. Memento Mori is so powerful because it has an inflated DC over other spells and is quickened, stilled, and silent. Imprisonment is allowed on the server within reason, so I see no reason why an alternate form could not be, especially when it is something that can only be RP'ed out, not physically cast to force the issue... but that is just my two cents.
Regardless of a spell being scripted or not, admins tend to assign the spell a 'proper' DC from the rulebook, if they can come up with one, then adjust it based on its power relative to other spells.  And since Gem Cage isn't a standard SRD epic spell and the PRC Pack (which it was taken from) made up their DCs randomly, it would need to be hammered out what its DC is before cost and XP can be reasonably calculated.  I'd only place it at Momento Mori's level balance-wise because while it is not Quickened and has no bonus to its DC it is also effectively a ranged Death spell that has a Will save as opposed to the typically-higher Fort save and can't be warded against (as opposed to MM being stopped by Shadowshield and Death Ward) which makes it weaker than MM but a lot easier to pull off.

trylobyte

dom101 Avatar
This was scripted on G/C.  I remember watching Kranis unleash an epic level monster on people in Sigil.
This is a thing we must have.  Ima drop Faero'phax in the Square.

dom101

trylobyte Avatar
dom101 Avatar
This is a thing we must have.  Ima drop Faero'phax in the Square.
It's the only reason I'd want the spell too.

The Red Mage

trylobyte Avatar
Remmy Avatar
Regardless of a spell being scripted or not, admins tend to assign the spell a 'proper' DC from the rulebook, if they can come up with one, then adjust it based on its power relative to other spells.  And since Gem Cage isn't a standard SRD epic spell and the PRC Pack (which it was taken from) made up their DCs randomly, it would need to be hammered out what its DC is before cost and XP can be reasonably calculated.  I'd only place it at Momento Mori's level balance-wise because while it is not Quickened and has no bonus to its DC it is also effectively a ranged Death spell that has a Will save as opposed to the typically-higher Fort save and can't be warded against (as opposed to MM being stopped by Shadowshield and Death Ward) which makes it weaker than MM but a lot easier to pull off.
I think an area which prevents teleportation by warding would stop the spell(ie: dimensional anchor, disrupt teleportation and afterward: freedom). But those are things inherently less present than deathward/ undead/ shadow shield and not buffs I'd see rationally prepared by things just in case they foresaw being trapped inside a jewel...

I agree with the rest. Like all CC spells, they are effectively death spells anyway, and it being a will save makes it just as powerful as the most readily available epic deathspell and should have its DC adjusted accordingly to important boss's will saves.

Even if it's just an RP spell because of the scripting nightmare, a DC should be drafted to resolve any disputes.