Main Menu

Teleport/Revive Tokens

Started by , Jun 27, 2015, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deleted

Just a suggestion (and posting as a reminder):

Can we please have these widgets deduct gold in the amount of a their appropriate scroll?  (Teleport scroll cost for the teleport widget; Raise Dead scroll cost for the revive token)

Wittle Dreamer

That's going to be rough on the lowbie characters. Maybe add that for levels past 8-9?

valiea987

Also, teleport gives you the ability to go to any place you have keyed. The teleport stone is only back to the Warbling Seraph. Maybe it should be slightly cheaper since it is a single place teleport? So a level 3 or 4 scroll cost instead of 5?

ladybug

For the teleport, I could maybe see that. I don't see any issue with the raise widget at any level since I don't usually see lowbies worrying over raises, especially when sticking to level-appropriate areas.
SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

thorien

Hmmm. I don't see a point in it. For high level it is as problematic as spending let's say 50k to buy supply of scrolls. I agree with Wittle Dreamer that it will mostly kick new players.

Atomic Twinkie

The Teleport stone is meant to be an OOC mechanic, as I understood it.

Vincent07

Both are, to be honest.

The stone was mainly put in to allow players to get out of places they may have been trapped in.  I could easily add in a scaling gold cost.

The revival token was made because I could not get the wild/dead magic zone exemption for Raise Dead to work.  It should probably have a cost... and play an animation, not sure why it doesn't at present.   Maybe it'll just cost diamonds.  <_<
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Deleted

Originally, the teleport widget was also put in because of some players who were abusing /killme and raising themselves as a "get out of this dungeon quick" exploit.

Scaling cost (at least) should factor in, as it -is- a free teleport back to Arabel.

Fire Wraith

It should definitely be free below a certain level. I'd say diamonds are fine, assuming the ones that you can buy from the jeweler in Arabel work for it? And I'm assuming the shop sells them (if not it should).

Probably say... free for below level... 7? 8? And then scaling upwards, but never more than the cost of a scroll. For raise, what should matter is the target level, not the user, too.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

sinisteromnibus

Vincent07 Avatar
Both are, to be honest.

The stone was mainly put in to allow players to get out of places they may have been trapped in.  I could easily add in a scaling gold cost.

The revival token was made because I could not get the wild/dead magic zone exemption for Raise Dead to work.  It should probably have a cost... and play an animation, not sure why it doesn't at present.   Maybe it'll just cost diamonds.  <_<
I like this.

sinisteromnibus

I'd actually like the raise widget diamonds to be something harder to come by. I mean...I may be alone, but it would be nice if revival from death or near death was a slightly less common thing.

thorien

It was explained that it's OOC mechanism that saves us from mistakes/bugs/lags and all other plagues of PC adaptation of P&P. I don't think you can resurrect anyone ICly just like that, even using the scroll that -anyone- can use now.

Wittle Dreamer

I think Death alltogether should be taken more seriously but not when it comes to mechanics. That's the real issue I think, personally. Raise dead scrolls are totally OOC and always considered some form of healing instead of literally raising the character from death, which is understandable. No one wants to be that character that died 10 times and gave no s***?

So really bringing a higher cost to revives and the like should equate to the mechanical death system not existing till a DM kills someone off. That's my take on it at least.

*Edit

Unless you are looking for a money dump ofcourse as there are characters that are filthy rich from just a run or two in a dungeon, I don't think this is the way to go. Better find another thing to use as a money dump.

sinisteromnibus

Wittle Dreamer Avatar
I think Death alltogether should be taken more seriously but not when it comes to mechanics. That's the real issue I think, personally. Raise dead scrolls are totally OOC and always considered some form of healing instead of literally raising the character from death, which is understandable. No one wants to be that character that died 10 times and gave no s***?

So really bringing a higher cost to revives and the like should equate to the mechanical death system not existing till a DM kills someone off. That's my take on it at least.

*Edit

Unless you are looking for a money dump ofcourse as there are characters that are filthy rich from just a run or two in a dungeon, I don't think this is the way to go. Better find another thing to use as a money dump.
More that last part. Even with the money dumps we have on the server now, as you level you acquire insane amounts of gold and the higher you get the less you have to spend it on...even worse if you know a good appraiser. Having raise require diamonds that have to be found encourages people to run dungeons for more than exp and takes coin out of the equation to some extent.

That said, the reverse side of that coin is that having to buy diamonds is a gold sink that impacts that wealth you've accrued and having the widget and/or scrolls deduct gold from you accomplishes the same. Honestly, there are lots of ways it can be done, and I'm not fussed personally about any of them.

Ideally, though, I'd like to see some system put in place that removes some of the triviality of mechanical death. Even if your character 'got knocked out' instead of killed, I think it makes for more meaningful roleplay when there's a cost to revive them. Gives the character a reason to be more careful, IC, or to be more prepared for their allies' sakes.

*shrug*

Just my opinions, though. Ultimately, I think the server at large prefers mechanical and/or dungeon death having less weighty consequences. I've always been a fan of raise dead / resurrect costing the cleric casting them (or person) a chunk of exp, and raise dead costing the revived person a chunk as well. That's probably a bit hardcore for CD, though.

goodapollo

I've seen the 'death needs to mean more' option on two dozen servers and I've never seen a method proposed that didn't make death meaningful for the person proposing it without either alienating everyone else or, most important for me: having a 'get out of the game crashing/lagging/justplainbeingabuggy10yearoldmess' card for when no force on earth could have stopped you from getting instagibbed during a thunderstorm or some nonsense.

Also I just don't care for it on a visceral level, like, who cares? You make it cost money? People will go farm. XP? Farm. Whatever change is made will be irrelevant in a week.