Main Menu

CD: Conflicting Decency (Reduced playtime for a few months)

Started by tarriel, Oct 01, 2015, 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarriel

What is decency?

The ability to treat even someone you dislike with a measure of fairness and civility? I'd like to think so. 

What pains me is the inherent lack of decency and general compassion I've witnessed over the last few weeks. 

I've never been particularly post-happy on these forums, to be honest. I've played my characters happily and quietly, enjoying my time here with friends. But when I see people turning on each other for something as simple as disagreement? I start to devolve into a keyboard warrior. I've turned to various stress relief techniques, my friends, my pets they all help me to a degree, and my military service taught me patience and camaraderie, if nothing else. 

So why cant people just get along? 

A childish question perhaps, but a valid one. All the anger, mistrust and backstabbing has prodded and irritated me to the point of donning the "keyboard justice" cap. To be blunt: I play NWN to have fun, to develop characters I love. I DM to entertain (not here, but elsewhere. And I doubt I'll be attempting to put in a DM app after the appalling way I've seen people act this last few weeks/month), to let people develop their own characters and the legacies they create. I do neither, to appease the whims of selfish, immature idiots who wont so much as lift a finger to rectify a situation, but will go to all lengths to breed hate behind someone's back to try and force them out, for simply disagreeing. I have sat and watched as both sides have acted and reacted, and the final outcome saddens me greatly. I'd hoped for so much more from many involved.

My play time will be reduced for a long while due to University, though I'll try for a few hours a week where I can.

To those I love my time here with, I hope we can carry on as we do. 

- The Jackal