Main Menu

OOC Differentiation for in-game messages

Started by Myphicbowser, Aug 03, 2024, 12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myphicbowser

I know that OOC messages shouldn't be common, but I really think that as they are necessary at some points for corrections or explaining sudden departures, it would be really nice if by typing something like // or ( in front of a message would add a tag to the message [OOC] and change its color in the chat, to make it easier to differentiate at a glance, yah know?

Terallis

I'd love this, personally. Seen it done on a couple other servers, as well.
Eirik Hjartoreldr
Ulrik Dawnfall
Alaric

platinum01

You can change the color yourself with the right characters. Some change the hue of their text when performing songs. I prefer the OOC to be unobtrusive so it doesn't disrupt role play for everyone and only indicates for those with whom you role play. That seems considerate; but that's just me.
Alaunlith • Amethyst • Aolinn • Craven • Daisy • Isobel • Jocelyn • Rosalind • Tisiphone • Zirzabett

probot

Making the usual signifiers of ooc // and (( produce a different colored text makes sense to me. It helps separate it at a glance which is not much, but sometimes I'd really rather not skim through prolonged tangents or back and forths to not miss on actual ic text. +1

SpacePope

probot

That's a more difficult question. It should be something not taken up by the game's setting by default, and not particularly contrasting like the green of tells is. Readable, but unobtrusive.

Terallis

Quote from: SpacePope on Aug 04, 2024, 10:42 AMIf it was to be done, what color?

Light Blue, Cyan, Turqoise? Just to name a few ideas. Interestingly, along this same line, I remember a few servers that also did something where you could choose your method of emoting, and it would detect that, making EMOTES a different colour from what was spoken. In fact, I actually feel like that could be an even greater idea than colour changing the OOC talk. Or just both!
Eirik Hjartoreldr
Ulrik Dawnfall
Alaric

morena

Maybe gray so it blends into the background more compared to IC conversation?

probot

Grey is default for whispers so that would likely lead to at least some minor confusion down the line which is better avoided. Cyan I think would stand out too much unless it's quite a faded, pastel shade, which I think is the overall answer here. Personally I envision some light pink color but anything that straddles the line of soft enough to blend in without losing readability would suffice.

platinum01

I prefer to remain as in-character as possible. This is a role playing server. Such changes in text for OOC conversations would be disruptive. If you want to tell those you are role playing with... occly that you are excusing yourself, send a tell. That shows in green text and easy to see. It is not disruptive to those around you. Also, you could use Discord. I don't even change the text for Quest Chat, even though that is an option.

In my view, the current " // " or " (( " is enough of an indicator.
Alaunlith • Amethyst • Aolinn • Craven • Daisy • Isobel • Jocelyn • Rosalind • Tisiphone • Zirzabett

aliceofthevoid

I very much doubt that making the text a different color will encourage people to speak OOCly any more than they already do. I've played on servers that did have the color change, and if anything it improved my immersion by making it easier to focus on IC chat.

platinum01

Road signs have various hues to draw your attention. I would prefer the in-character role play to have my attention moreso than colored OOC text, which would be a distraction. If there was a way, like Quest Chat to only change the text YOU see rather than the text everyone sees... that would be a compromise. For now, I prefer the current system.

turtle

I am with plat on this i feel that we do not really need color text to denote OOC.  I Feel that it will draw away from IC. Especially if it is colorful it will take away cause it will draw your eye to it. 

probot

Making it a different color will help you determine what is what at a glance. I use the whisper chat in a crowded environment sometimes for precisely this reason - to see exactly what those around me are saying when things get busy. OOC chat being the same text as regular say and whispers is more of a burden, to me at least, because I have to look at it, especially when it's multiple people talking and it mixes in with IC text, which is not uncommon. Like I said above, it's not much, but it's definitely a quality of life improvement.

platinum01

In any job I have had, accuracy was paramount in every form of communication. I never needed extra skills or cues to recognize OOC chatter. I suppose AI and improved technology have removed the "human" element, too much. It also tells me that there is far too much out-of-character communication if a special color is needed for it.