Main Menu

Drow only language...

Started by destinysdesire, Feb 07, 2016, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinysdesire

Could we look at having a Drow only sign language, my source comes from R.A Salvatore himself that ALL drow are taught this, it could be useful for drow who are planning against elves, or even infront of those that speak Undercommon. 

Source here:

Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Deleted

RA Salvatore, while an prolific author, is not one of the author/editors of the campaign setting books.  While his books flesh out parts of the setting, they are not (in and of themselves) canonical.

That goes for all novels, btw, not just Salvatore.

By the setting book for 3.5, Underdark, Drow only start knowing Common, Elven (drow dialect), and Undercommon.  Drow sign language is a bonus language that is available through having a high enough INT score to have bonus languages or through spending skill points to learn.

destinysdesire

so drow sign is an option???
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Edge

It's not present as a widget in game and has no coded-in language, but we have allowed Drow PCs to use it, yes. Usually via emoting the gestures then sending tells to the person/people seeing it who might understand it with what the signs mean.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

destinysdesire

So do I have to pay for it like a normal language, or can we just claim to have it as drow?

Deleted

I'd be okay with replacing the current Drow widget to be Drow sign language that uses similar emotes to the Thieves' Cant.  I just don't know that we have the time/availability to invest in that right now.

Yeah, you'd have to spend skill points for it.

destinysdesire

Alright, I will save two points to it next lvl

Arya

Pretty much seconding what others have said. And in truth, it does not directly contradict what the novels have done with it, anyway. If anyone did not notice, Drizzt was able to verbally speak fluently with elves in his encounters with them from the start - before he knew Common. Then again, it had been 20+ years since I read the Dark Elf Trilogy, but I remember that much. Sign language is its own thing - as the books have it as a bonus language. I can see the language passed onto primarily higher blood drow and certain elites. 

Though...do we not already have a Drow Sign Language widget? Thought I saw it at some point unless it was removed.

Sincerely,
Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Deleted

Deleted

This sort of thing fits my character background...which has been submitted privately...so, I'd like to make sure i too can invest the points needed to fulfill that.