Main Menu

How do you all generally meet people in-character?

Started by Myv, Jan 31, 2016, 11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myv

I've been having a Hell of a time trying to meet people, in that it's terrifying and I'm not at all. I walk circles around the groups that hang out outside of the inn, and my only real interaction with anyone in two days has been when they came upon me in the sewers while I was leveling and couldn't bolt. Even writing this post is taking effort, as I'm convinced it's not in the right section!

So how do you all do it? Help pls.

EDIT: To clarify, it's not that nobody is interacting with me. It's that I'm not interacting with anyone, because I don't really know how to get that ball rolling. :P

Edge

Well to relieve your worries, this is a fine place for this thread, so you're good there. =)

The Square is kind of the go-to place for running into people, almost all the time you'll find someone hanging out there unless the server is near-empty or you just have bad luck with the timing. If you're avoiding the Square (which many do - for some it's too crowded or confusing, for others it's just not their kind of place), your next best bet is to join in on an announced quest or event and meet people in the context of an established story being run by one of our DMs.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of luck running into people in dungeons, and a willingness to engage with people when you encounter them anywhere.

Best of luck, and welcome to the server. =)
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Arya

I think I saw you earlier, and I apologize in advance for not being as responsive (there was some bad timing). It is also appreciated when you do voice when this bad luck hits, so that we can keep an eye out for you and get you on your way. :-)

Welcome to the server! Hopefully my schedule will let me at least RP with you a little before it gets too busy!

Best,
Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

thorien

As many people are not aware of it, there is a command /listpcs that allows you to show PCs locations, providing they are not set as hidden. It may really help with locating people in dungeons, cities and other places. :)

Deleted

I've always been the sort to let things happen on their own. I've always found that when RP is forced, it seems unnatural, and not fun....for me. Only my opinion. My character is naturally awkward around people, but development is evolving, and that has been great fun for me. Since coming to the server, I've been very very fortunate to have had the RP heaped on in spades. :)

So, for my part....roll with it. Be your character, and let things happen. You'll be surprised how it goes!!

Ryoko Honda

Myv Avatar
I've been having a Hell of a time trying to meet people, in that it's terrifying and I'm not at all. I walk circles around the groups that hang out outside of the inn, and my only real interaction with anyone in two days has been when they came upon me in the sewers while I was leveling and couldn't bolt. Even writing this post is taking effort, as I'm convinced it's not in the right section!

So how do you all do it? Help pls.

EDIT: To clarify, it's not that nobody is interacting with me. It's that I'm not interacting with anyone, because I don't really know how to get that ball rolling. :P

Please feel free to say hello :) Nya is a chatter box once you get her going!

Myv

I like the idea of signing up for an event to meet people, and the locate players command to find people out and about and in dungeons. The latter is metagamey but I don't think it'll matter if it's just so I can run out and "happen" to be out in the same area as someone else. A lot more fun than just solo killing things.

Edge

That's pretty much exactly what we added the command for. Yes it's a little meta, but there's definitely a "good metagaming", such as partying up with people or using a server resource like /listpcs to find people, especially with a server the size of CD, that's separate from "bad metagaming" like using OOC information against people or to acquire an unfair advantage.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Ogre Time Yay

If your character comes by an elven fella in a white cloak and hood, named Hydaro, there's a good chance he's organizing a trip somewhere. He may be grumpy and seem tired most of the time, but he doesn't judge or make fun of people. As the player of that character, I like to include as many people as possible into the trips I organize here and there to give folks a chance to meet with others as well as show off their talents, so just speak up when that's happening. :)

Goat

I have the same problems and have played here for years; honestly, I get shy.  The majority of my characters hide away until approached as well, except for my one crazy one who awkwardly interjects himself into any conversation in a nonsensical fashion.  Mostly, I just wanted to commiserate with you to let you know that you aren't alone in this!  Don't be afraid to send out a tell or two OOCly to chat with people; more often than not you'll find yourself invited into RP that way too.

I also feel awkward wandering into places, but sometimes you can come up with a quick IC reason to be there with a chat with another player!

Also, welcome!  I hope to see you around in game soon!

Theorem of Neutrality

I'm not an enormous fan of the square. What I prefer to do is just wander up on people and start chatting with them if they're aren't engaged in any intense RP or anything. I like to involve as many people as possible.

It's like photobombing, but with more philosophical conversations.

kothoses

I offer to buy them a drink in the Tavern and slip a psychotropic drug or two in there, it explains a lot of what happens in the square!

onivel

usually for me, if its either a new Pc or one who is in an area with those he/she does not know, i will generally have them give a wave or nod as he enters the area. That alone will sometimes spark a greeting from others which can then lead to conversation. If it doesn't I usually will have them take a seat nearby listening to the conversation and then ad a comment to the conversation where I see an opportunity.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

realityjumper

Emote doing something! Either reading a book, or biting a thumbnail, twirling hair, looking for something or for a place... people usually jump on that.

We met briefly the other night - Lena is Hyde's wife. She's loud and obnoxious most of the time, but her heart's in the right place. Feel free to reach out to me, even ooc, when you see me log on. I'm either topside as a dm, or there's Priya, Tindra, Amolyn and ... a lot of others... that I have around regularly. The only really shy one is Priya - but you'd like her! She's part time Violet Flame, full time Diviner for the Travelling Shield, and part time her own magic school.

Like Hyde, I'm happy to help out.

"Have avatar, will travel."
"Death floats on the air, creeps through the window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died." ~ Raistlin Majere

Myv

onivel Avatar
usually for me, if its either a new Pc or one who is in an area with those he/she does not know, i will generally have them give a wave or nod as he enters the area. That alone will sometimes spark a greeting from others which can then lead to conversation. If it doesn't I usually will have them take a seat nearby listening to the conversation and then ad a comment to the conversation where I see an opportunity.
I sort of did this last night. I walked in to the trade shop everyone seems to go to and just said "Good evening." and that got things rolling, though the conversation did end up feeling a bit awkward. 

realityjumper Avatar
Emote doing something! Either reading a book, or biting a thumbnail, twirling hair, looking for something or for a place... people usually jump on that.

We met briefly the other night - Lena is Hyde's wife. She's loud and obnoxious most of the time, but her heart's in the right place. Feel free to reach out to me, even ooc, when you see me log on. I'm either topside as a dm, or there's Priya, Tindra, Amolyn and ... a lot of others... that I have around regularly. The only really shy one is Priya - but you'd like her! She's part time Violet Flame, full time Diviner for the Travelling Shield, and part time her own magic school.

Like Hyde, I'm happy to help out.

"Have avatar, will travel."

I probably would like Priya, and I'm betting she and Myv would get along great. Myv's a slightly eccentric researcher type that wants to be Violet Flame and is looking for a magic school, and likes to Divine things for private investigative services that I haven't gotten around to doing anything with yet.