Main Menu

A brief note on player inventories.

Started by Vincent07, Jan 14, 2015, 01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent07

I have, on occasion, spoken to a handful of you about the size of your character's inventory.  To preface the following, no I am not instituting a cap on bags or other carried things, nor am I at this time considering persistent storage.   I am asking ALL of you to be reasonable in the amount of things you keep on your PC at any given time.

Why?

Because overly large inventories seem to be one of the root causes of event server transition crashes.  This is extremely frustrating when it happens in the middle of a DM run event, especially if said event had a lot of setup.

So this is my warning/notice to ALL players.  Please keep your inventories at a reasonable level. Those I have already spoken to, I will be checking back with.  I do not want to have to take the time to cull player inventories to prevent server crashes,  but if it continues to be an issue, I will do so.

As a final note:  You should always keep enough empty space within your first two pages for any items in hand, as well as your armor.  There are mechanics (disarm/ruin armor) that cause un-equips and full inventories can lead to items on the ground, or worse, bugged on the ground unable to be picked up.  Or the server could crash and you lose the item.
In worst case scenarios, inventories that are too full of items can lead to character file corruption.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Vincent07

Update:

I'm bumping this for visibility, also for some of the newer players and old players returning.

We will be looking through inventories soon, as some of you are still carting around -far- too much.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Ogre Time Yay

Uh oh...
Actually my inventory isn't as bad as it use to be, had it organized for awhile. I'll get to a trashbin in game as soon as I get home.

Deleted

We're specifically worried about inventories with no free space, and pages filled with multiple small bags (i.e. the velvet giftbag or traveler's belt pouch) which are likewise filled with items.

Some players have been independently warned.

The main reason for these mandatory inventory cleanups is that the event server regularly crashes when characters with overly-filled inventories cross over.  If a DM is running an event, it means that hours of setup and preparation are lost.  This can mean the cancellation of an event, ruining the fun of multiple players and the efforts of a DM's storytelling.

Edge

Just a full inventory on its own is not enough to cause this problem (though it can result in other issues, like dropped items mid-server transition being permanently lost/destroyed). The lag and crashing issues are almost exclusively caused by people who have the many, many bags full of stuff. These are primarily the ones we'll be pulling aside.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda