Main Menu

Swordmage and Concentration.

Started by farmboy2003, Nov 08, 2020, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy2003

Hello. New player here.  :)

I am confused whether swordmages need concentration or not for their incantations? - To cast in combat or use with defensive casting i mean

The class description says so here on the forum, that it does not require any concentration checks to avoid AOO's or lost a casting when taking damage. But they get combat casting?

I've experienced a single concentration check so far in the cellar below the inn too, so I am not entirely sure?

Jerec

You definitely need concentration to avoid losing a spell when you get hit. It's a good idea to max it out and use combat casting/defensive spellcasting if you have another casting class that enables it (bard being the most popular mix) or if you're not going to use a different combat mode, like expertise or power attack.

farmboy2003

Jerec Avatar
You definitely need concentration to avoid losing a spell when you get hit. It's a good idea to max it out and use combat casting/defensive spellcasting if you have another casting class that enables it (bard being the most popular mix) or if you're not going to use a different combat mode, like expertise or power attack.

So I can't use combat casting/defensive spellcasting for incantations UNLESS I have another spellcasting class? Wierd. Will favoured soul suffice?

But thanks a bunch. I will start maxing concenctration like I intended to originally.

Garage Trashcan

It's because Defensive Casting is hardcoded/blackboxed to caster classes and we can't give access to it on the custom class.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

farmboy2003

Thanks! Yet another hardcoded thing to know about