Main Menu

How does blink plate even work?

Started by farmboy2003, Nov 12, 2020, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy2003

The description on the forum is very different from the ingame effects.

Forums says 8 AC, ingame says 5, with a change to 6 at cl 8, 8 at cl 10. At Swordmage level 8, it still gives me +5 AC, so the progression doesnt seem to be working.

The progression described in the ingame feat doesnt add up with the forum either, where greater blinkplate becomes availabe at Swordmage level 10, not 8. And the greater blinkplate is +11.

While it would be prudent to have either feat or forum description changed, Id just really like to know what is up and down with the blinkplate.

Right now it is a +5 bonus without scaling. Its the worst of both versions.

Is there a reason the duration is very short? I would carefully suggest a change in duration, if there is a nerf in bonus.

Xaerien

If it's not increasing to +6 AC at Swordmage level 8, then that'd be a bug. The class page on the forum not displaying the change in the ability means it was likely forgotten to do so when the change came in. Blinkplate's a short duration, high armor AC increasing ability for Swordmage meant to provide a short term AC increase as needed rather than a permanent AC buff, though the regular version can be kept up as long as you'd like due to having infinite uses. Just requires managing the duration

farmboy2003

Xaerien Avatar
If it's not increasing to +6 AC at Swordmage level 8, then that'd be a bug. The class page on the forum not displaying the change in the ability means it was likely forgotten to do so when the change came in. Blinkplate's a short duration, high armor AC increasing ability for Swordmage meant to provide a short term AC increase as needed rather than a permanent AC buff, though the regular version can be kept up as long as you'd like due to having infinite uses. Just requires managing the duration
Reading between the lines, I should always take ingame descriptions more serious?

I had some trouble calculating my AC last I checked, I will go in at give it a whirl again.

I dont mind the duration - but at low levels it is inhumanely short. Not so short that it is a shame when it fades in combat, but it is tedious keeping an eye.

Edge

Normally its the other way around, forum is generally better updated than in game, since in game text changes require a hak and tlk update. This one may have just slipped thru the cracks.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Xaerien

Also, arcane veil or mage armor (off scrolls or an item) are longer lasting alternatives you can use at the lower levels. They're not as high an armor AC bonus as blinkplate, but they're higher than gear available before level 10 for arcane veil, and before level 15 for mage armor. You're also likely to be wearing something with an armor AC value on it as well, which blinkplate overrides rather than stacks with (since armor AC doesn't stack). So not having it up at all times isn't a complete loss, just the difference between the AC it grants and your highest source of armor AC without it

farmboy2003

Xaerien Avatar
Also, arcane veil or mage armor (off scrolls or an item) are longer lasting alternatives you can use at the lower levels. They're not as high an armor AC bonus as blinkplate, but they're higher than gear available before level 10 for arcane veil, and before level 15 for mage armor. You're also likely to be wearing something with an armor AC value on it as well, which blinkplate overrides rather than stacks with (since armor AC doesn't stack). So not having it up at all times isn't a complete loss, just the difference between the AC it grants and your highest source of armor AC without it
I am actually having a hard time finding any kind of non AC armor for swordmages. Most stuff is class-restriced for all other spellcasting classes.

I doublechecked it. At lvl 9 swordmage it's actually only+5 bonus

Xaerien

What are you wearing in your armor/clothing slot?

Garage Trashcan

Pretty much any armor you find is going to have +AC on it because it's intended to be used by a variety of classes. Something like Icyscales will still give you more AC than the armor because this is a dispellable buff with a duration, much like Blinkplate (which is just a higher bonus with a shorter duration, designed to be used in between every few pulls. It lasts longer with Empowered Evocations, which you should be taking as a Arts).

The armor you choose to wear, you'll primarily be picking for the Resistances, stats, or other bonuses. Come T3, you should have a much easier time.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

farmboy2003

Garage Trashcan Avatar
Pretty much any armor you find is going to have +AC on it because it's intended to be used by a variety of classes. Something like Icyscales will still give you more AC than the armor because this is a dispellable buff with a duration, much like Blinkplate (which is just a higher bonus with a shorter duration, designed to be used in between every few pulls. It lasts longer with Empowered Evocations, which you should be taking as a Arts).

The armor you choose to wear, you'll primarily be picking for the Resistances, stats, or other bonuses. Come T3, you should have a much easier time.
Yeah, I meant armor items without base AC

Right now I have a +1 hullack leather, which i had a hard time finding. All armors with 0 base AC, ie clothes with enchantments are to come by in the first 10 levels in my experience. Or well, there is. Its just class restricted for classes that are almost the same as swordmage; bladesinger, eldritch knight fx.

On a side note, does protective personality give AC from natural CHA score, or will it count bonuses as well? I have a feeling that in only delivers 4 AC atm, which corresponds with my natural CHA score.

Xaerien

It's equal to charisma modifier, which'd include buffs. It's also deflection, which doesn't stack, so if you're getting a +1 deflection AC bonus from anything you've got currently equipped it'll override that instead

farmboy2003

Xaerien Avatar
It's equal to charisma modifier, which'd include buffs. It's also deflection, which doesn't stack, so if you're getting a +1 deflection AC bonus from anything you've got currently equipped it'll override that instead
Havent got any deflection stuff for that reason exactly. But... will a +1 deflection ring override protective personality?

Garage Trashcan

Highest bonus always counts. Of you have somethibg with +5 and +1, it will always onto count the +5.

In regards to cloth, there's plenty of other cloth armors available (such as armor for sneaks), so your experience I would say is just unlucky. There are plenty of caster and gish armors, but there's also plenty not for those classes.

There's reasons we joke that the loot script is sentient, written at the dead of night in a secret government facility.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

farmboy2003

Garage Trashcan Avatar
There's reasons we joke that the loot script is sentient, written at the dead of night in a secret government facility.
Just remember to feed the ants! And the bees. And to replace the cucumber from the time to time!

DubiousScroll

Paranoia is the best Green Armor for Sword Mages, I've found.  The +Regen in lower levels is real nice.

farmboy2003

DubiousScroll Avatar
Paranoia is the best Green Armor for Sword Mages, I've found.  The +Regen in lower levels is real nice.
Where do one find that? ;-)