Main Menu

Give Bards Rogue Weapon Proficiency

Started by Yaldabaoth, May 20, 2014, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yaldabaoth

On this server, there has been a general trend towards bringing classes up to 3.5 standards, and the bard was no exception, receiving a skill point increase.

However, Bards are still restricted to the simple weapon proficiency.  In 3.5, Bards have access to Longsword, Shortsword, Rapier, and Whip, although you can only choose one of those.  I suggest giving Bards the Rogue Weapon Proficiency, which would allow them Shortsword, Rapier, and Shortbow in addition to what they have now.  Bards, as designed, are more or less a finesse class if you go straight bard, due to the armor limitations.  Unfortunately, with only simple weapon proficiency, they have access only to daggers, light maces, and sickles.  Most of the good finesse weapons are rapiers.  In fact, several rapiers were designed for bards, even though they can't use it!

Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Vincent07

I'll be adding in Bardic Weapon Proficiency, which will grant them:  longsword, rapier, short sword, shortbow, and whip.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

dagesh

Arya

Hey, the Rogue proficiency would be good.

Bardic proficiency for bards, even better.
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

allatum

I shall be making a bard that has perform: lecturing and name him Narfel Jones. He will travel the world in search of rare archeological finds, and at each turn just manage to thwart the machinations of evil Zhents who are out to acquire rare and powerful artifacts.

He'll use a whip and crossbow of course.

(I'm all for this idea of bardic weapon proficiency.)

enarian123

Lords, our classes get all the toys here.

allatum

Would it be too much to also suggest that Duelist be updated to allow the bardic weapon proficiency set? since the d20 SRD (which is 3.5 I believe) only requires:

Base Attack Bonus:
+6
Skills:
Perform 3 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks
Feats:
Dodge, Mobility, Weapon finesse

Link