Main Menu

DON'T RUSH THE ___ DAMN EVENT SERVER

Started by dom101, Oct 15, 2014, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre Time Yay

dom101 Avatar
onivel Avatar
As one who was there and was the last one through the transition, I can tell you that we did indeed await a 10 count before hitting the transition. Now it may have appeared on your end that we were coming in at the same time. I can't vouch for why that is, but I can tell you from my end that it appeared  we each gave it enough time as I was the last one through the door.

Sorry that you got booted out at the end of Asbaron. I cant help that and it certainly wasn't intended. I can understand frustration. Sometimes shit just happens.

Also... please do not blaspheme... I really do not appreciate it. Thank you.

Oni

Clearly enough time -wasn't- offered, since we crashed.  If it was, well the obvious is that it wouldn't have happened.  So the proof is in the pudding and my statement stands as is.

Also, hurray for onivel censorship 2014.
To be fair to his point, I recall a time when only two people, Kip and I, logged onto an event server. Even after waiting 15 seconds in between, ended up crashing the server and screwing things up for Nova, so what onivel said actually -does- happen some times. Generally though, if it was us who crashed the server by logging in too fast, the most I can say is sorry, we didn't mean it.

dom101

Ogre Time Yay Avatar
dom101 Avatar
Clearly enough time -wasn't- offered, since we crashed.  If it was, well the obvious is that it wouldn't have happened.  So the proof is in the pudding and my statement stands as is.

Also, hurray for onivel censorship 2014.
To be fair to his point, I recall a time when only two people, Kip and I, logged onto an event server. Even after waiting 15 seconds in between, ended up crashing the server and screwing things up for Nova, so what onivel said actually -does- happen some times. Generally though, if it was us who crashed the server by logging in too fast, the most I can say is sorry, we didn't mean it.
Which I appreciate, thank you.  

Edge

It's generally requested to keep profanity of all forms to a minimum on the forum, regardless. (Though that and the "no real-world politics or religion discussions/arguments on the forums" line have mysteriously vanished from the forum rules since the transfer to the new forum...) Can you guys either postpone this or take it to PMs before we end up with a big religion debate blowing up on the forum? Because that's what this is going to inevitably end to if we don't cut it off now. Please? Thanks.

Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Edge

On the subject at hand.

The basic situation is thus: multiple people entering the Event Server simultaneously or near-simultaneously results in a crash. This is, as far as we can ascertain without more involved testing, a fairly accurate assessment almost every time. If it is not easily-available public knowledge, it would be in our best interest to make sure that it is made such - post a (less hostilely-worded) announcement in the Player Information section of the forum, put it in a journal entry in-game (though I still think we're dealing with most people don't read those), put up a sign in the character-creation area, something. And keep up the habit of players (kindly) warning each other to keep the transitioning slow when entering dungeons.

Sometimes things will happen. Mister Murphy lives, after all. Maybe it's because two different groups entered about the same time, unaware of each other and headed for two separate dungeons but crossing servers at about the same moment. Maybe it's because the transitioning people were a little too quick on the draw. Maybe it's because the server just decided to have a brainfart for no particular reason. It happens. It's frustrating, it's irritating, but nine times (or more) out of ten it's not done with malicious intent, and there's only so far we can go blaming apathy or ignorance, especially if we take the above suggestion of making this information more easily available to everyone.

Take a break from game, if it gets to the point of frustration and you need some time to vent. Go kill things in another game, maybe, or take a walk, or watch a movie, or just beat up a pillow or something. Because while I understand the reasoning behind the aggressive tone, and the frustration of delivering this message for what feels like the bleventeenth time, it's not doing a whole lot of good if instead of delivering the intended information it just results in pissing people off.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

The Red Mage

I've definitely have had no shortage of times where I've or my party have crashed trying to log into the event server or have the entire server go down for a while only to try again and some of us go to the dungeon while some other go to the OOC portal area. Or at times have had people simply be unable to log into the event server because it crashes for only them repetitively. I'm talking a few dozen. It isn't rare for me at all. The server just appears to be more unstable than the main server for whatever wondrous reason for now. It's a lot better than it was when it started, but it can still be finicky.

But I mean, the party in question was immediately helped and only had to wait ten to twenty more minutes to receive said loot. I don't understand the persistence of posting.

Fire Wraith

Let me just be blunt that whatever sympathy I might have had, is utterly gone with the tone and approach that was taken here.

It's not a rule.

It's not GOING to be a rule.

Even if it WAS a rule, this is NOT how to address problems with it.

What is a rule, is the one about respect that's been repeated violated in the tone of this conversation, and my patience with it is gone.

If you have a problem with it, you can take it up with me directly.

Locked.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."