Main Menu

Remaking my Spellsword

Started by Kymus, Jul 20, 2018, 06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kymus

So given that Vincent has taken the Spellsword class out to the pasture and (heartlessly and mercilessly!) shot it dead, I'm trying to figure out how best to rework my Spellsword. The Arcane Warrior sounds cool and I'd like to try it out, but that build is rather different from what I had for my Spellsword.

The basics (as they are now):

Lvl 13:

Human
Fighter 1/ Wizard 11/ Spellsword 1

Str 16
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Int: 20
Wis: 8
Cha: 8

He is presently wearing (Drow) chainmail and uses a longsword and shield

As I understand it, the Arcane Warrior's abilities require no armor or shield and it's charisma based. This means it would be considerably reworked and would require different stats and likely a Dex-based weapon.

I have no idea where even to begin! Suggestions, please?

ladybug

That's swordmage. AW is just a tweaked Spellsword. You should have no problem remaking your Spellsword into the new class as-is; mine made the change just fine.
More info from the changelog:

-Spellsword:
--Mandatory Class Change, old version disabled.
--Renamed to Arcane Warrior
--Gains Toughness at level 6.
--Channel Spell used increased to 3/6/9.
--New Ability Progression:
--Level
--1: Automatic Still Spell I
--2: Channel Spell I
--3: Brew Potion
--4: Channel SPell II
--5: Automatic Still Spell II
--6: Toughness
--7:
--8: Bonus Feat
--9: Channel Spell III
--10: Automatic Still Spell III

SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Edge

Arcane Warrior IS Spellsword, just with its abilities tweaked and code changed to be less server breaking.

The CHA-based no-armor class is Swordmage, which is a base class, not a Prestige Class.

EDIT: ninja'd by ladyghost.

Note that the progression is slightly glitches, and you may not receive the Auto Still feats automatically; if not, you can get them added by requesting a leto.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Kymus

Whew, thanks guys. That makes much more sense. I couldn't wrap my head around how a no-armor no-shield CHA-based class was a replacement and now I realize that I was just being a dummy. Oops?  :D

I'll take more time to look it over and figure this out ^^

Misty

Edge Avatar
Note that the progression is slightly glitches, and you may not receive the Auto Still feats automatically; if not, you can get them added by requesting a leto.
I had to get Toughness leto'd in as well, Kymus. With the feats the class works very well!
Of course you should fight with fire. You should fight everything with fire.
---
There's too many they consumed everything

Kymus

So as I understand it the biggest difference is that there is no arcane spell failure reduction but instead you get auto still spell?

Kymus

Misty Avatar
Edge Avatar
I had to get Toughness leto'd in as well, Kymus. With the feats the class works very well!

Eeek! Good to know that I need to pay attention. I may or may not be bad at that :D :D

Edge

Kymus Avatar
So as I understand it the biggest difference is that there is no arcane spell failure reduction but instead you get auto still spell?
Basically yes.

Long story short, the old version did its spell failure reduction via scripts and on-equip flags and other such things. Unfortunately due to a variety of factors, this version of the class started doing bad things like destroying all the magical properties on affected items.

When he did the hak updates, Vincent thus remade the class to not use those scripts (as for some reason simply changing the scripts or other attempts at fixes never seemed to do the job, or it wouldn't stick, or other problems) and to just use the built-in NWN Auto Still feats instead.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda