Main Menu

Active player factions

Started by satellitemind, Apr 08, 2015, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satellitemind

What are the active player factions on this server these days? Wanting to join one

The Red Briar is active, lacking members currently.
Violet Flame is active too.  Velethuil is also active,
and so are the Purple Dragons.

It really depends what kind of character you want to play.

satellitemind

A faction with a lot of members in it preferably

sinisteromnibus

The sad reality is that currently the player factions on the server are by and large all desperately in need of more active players. The Briar, Velethuil, and the Violet Flame are among the most active, but even amongst them you can really only count on between 2 and 4 players to regularly log in characters from any of these factions. The Arabel Council is another faction with about the same number regularly active if you're into the political scene.

There have been many more factions on the server that have been active in the past - all founded by players. Among them:

Harpers
Hullack Druid Circle
Sharan Cell

However, so far as I know with these (with the exception of the Harpers) there is little activity these days.

My recommendation if you're seeking a player faction with a large following is to found your own and rally people to your cause. Part of why the factions of old are suffering right now is many of their players have left or become too busy irl to devote much time to the game, so it makes more sense to found a faction with players who you see on every day. That said, it's likely getting your hopes up a bit too much to expect more than 4 or 5 regularly active characters in any faction given the size of the server. You have to consider that 4 or 5 is roughly a fifth to a quarter of the players logged onto the server at any given time - sometimes more.

Alternatively, for those belonging to factions reading this it would seem like it's a good idea to break out those characters and start seeking recruits for a revival. Not to plug myself, but one of my characters is actually founding a faction to help him establish a new city. I've had limited time on lately, but his plans are pretty much public knowledge and he's personally invited a few people to join him in the endeavor. I'm always looking for those interested in lending a hand with it both IC and OOC though, if you think that's something your character would want to be a part of. Still, above all else I think now is the perfect time for players to found new factions. The server's on a sort of upswing of new players joining, so there's likely to be a large amount of them within the same level range actively playing and thus plenty to back you up on your endeavors.

As always, feel free to request assistance from myself or other DMs in terms of events and what-not to help establish these factions. I hope this offers some insight for you, and if you still want to join an established faction on the server ask around about the names listed above and eventually you'll be guided to someone who can get you in. Remember: those factions are as hungry for new recruits as you are to join them. ;)

onivel

We also have a Drow house that is fairly active if you are interested in a trying a Drow PC.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

Edwardfalcona

or ! You could join the growing circle that is the temple of Oghma!

Atomic Twinkie

ladybug

Cormyrian book club is go! Oghma 4 lyfe
SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Goat

Harpers, as mentioned are active(ish), though obviously fairly secretive.  Feel free to PM me about them if that's the angle you want to go with.

We're going to be trying to get more people involved with the council in the next few weeks (might end up being mid-May), if you're of a political bend as was also mentioned.

Fire Wraith

In general, there are a lot of characters in various factions, but not all of those factions are actively doing things as a faction. Usually what makes them more active is when other people want to do stuff, or bring up the faction, or organize things - even just little trips to dungeons and such.

CD is very much about taking initiative and shaping the world as you want to shape it, whether that means stepping up to take charge of an existing group or faction, or starting your own with a few like minded individuals.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

donkeyotay

Since this is was brought up, would there happen to be any rogue guilds around or active?

Edge

Depends what you mean by "rogue guild". I don't think we have any active thieves' guilds or similar shady underground groups, if that's what you mean.

The majority of groups, pretty much just excluding the local Druids' Grove and the Violet Flame (the resident academy of the arcane), are less oriented around classes and more around alignments, religions, residency, mutual goals or intents, or in-character friendships and alliances.

It's hard to peg down what kind of factions and guilds people would be interested in from the perspective of simply naming a class, when almost every group on the server is far more interested in what you want and what you believe than in what tools you use to accomplish it.

So the questions for you and anyone else looking for a group or organization to attach themselves to should probably be more along the lines of "What does my character want?", "Who am I interested in working with?", "What am I willing to cooperate with and what measures am I willing to take to reach my goals?", "What ethical or moral lines to I draw and why?", and those sorts of things. Answering those will be far more likely to point you in the direction of a guild or faction you can fit into well.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Darvins

donkeyotay Avatar
Since this is was brought up, would there happen to be any rogue guilds around or active?

I don't know if a thieves guild exists but I have recently been considering making a quest request that might help establish one, since the big problem I would imagine with such a guild would be well, folks getting together to form it icly.

Edge

A thieves' guild would really require a DM or two to be fairly attentive and open and available for people to contact, possibly with some kind of Godfather-like NPC who would send his/her minions to recruit promising PCs with the right mindsets and array of skills. The trick, of course, is finding the DMs to do so.

There's the alternative method of player-operated guilds of such sort, of course, but those are a little more difficult to arrange and come with a much larger risk of someone spilling the beans to the server public.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Valimar Dragonbane

There were one or two rogue-type guilds that were semi-active, but I believe both have since folded due to either lack of interest or player rl activities.  Clockwork Security was the big one, there.  They offered security services, had a bank (that I think was more rp-oriented and didn't actually have 'real' money stored in it).
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen