Main Menu

removing dispels from summons

Started by germanblangs, Jan 06, 2014, 02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanblangs

I would like to suggest we remove the ability to dispel magic from summons since I'm sick of them using area dispels and dispelling themselves.  It's just retarded.

Thank you.

Not Batman

Due to AI, I think removing some spells being removed from summons would not be a bad idea. Some ideas are:

1) Remove Prismatic Spray from the Marut, as it's a fairly chaotic spell to be cast by one who embodies law.
2) Nerf the amount of Improved Invisibilitys the Slaad have, as they cast it nine times over before attacking.
3) Remove Time Stop from the Marut as well, as it really does nothing with it other than drop Word of Faith and is a minor annoyance as it clears our action bar.

Though summons dispelling themselves is a definitely a first I've heard of.

Masque

Please remove spells from summons. Unless it is part of a round about way of balancing them by making them suck terribly until they expunge their spell load onto friend and foe alike. Then you sir, are a genius and I tip my internet hat in your general direction.

trylobyte

This, or update the summons' AI so they use their spells and abilities intelligently.  It's annoying summoning a dragon, only to have to wait 10-15 rounds for it to blow through its dispels (often on enemies who aren't buffed) and breath weapons (often used on a single enemy target, and often hitting someone else in the party) before it gets into melee where it's actually helpful.  This is more true the more spells the summon has, to the point that some summons (the slaad especially) are pretty useless because of the length of time it takes them to blow through their spell roster before getting into a position to help out.

germanblangs

Just so that i'm being clear, when i say it's dispelling itself, I mean it fucking unsummoned itself.... again.  Hard to depend on your summons for aid when they are using greater dispelling on area effects and unsummoning themselves.  Especially in gnolls.

Garage Trashcan

germanblangs Avatar
Just so that i'm being clear, when i say it's dispelling itself, I mean it fucking unsummoned itself.... again.  Hard to depend on your summons for aid when they are using greater dispelling on area effects and unsummoning themselves.  Especially in gnolls.
Now THIS is just too damn funny.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

The Red Mage

I have never seen this happen ever.

Darvins

I saw it last night I suspect it's a rare issue, but it can happen. I think it maybe a result here of Drow Domain which makes Gate an 8th level spell. That may make the target number for the summons Dispell a little lower and achievable by the summon where as normally it's not. Just guessing but it doesn't seem to be too out there if Qora is the only person this is happening too.

carp6

Yeah I saw it too the other night for the first time....this really needs to be looked at and fixed when the chance is possible.

Vincent07

Gated in summons should not leave with a dispel on the summon itself.  Honestly, I'm of the opinion that it should take a dismissal or banishment to remove any summon, not a dispel.   But I will be adjusting summon SLAs when I get a chance.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

The Red Mage

You have to dispel the caster, not the summon, to dispel the summon. I'm not sure this is even possible. Even if the summon casts word of faith, it wouldn't work. Unless the summon is casting banishment, I don't see the mechanics behind this problem.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is a bug with the new circle of alignment spell that causes the Gate summons to never be bound, making them unbound. If an unbound gate summon dispels itself, it could actually be dispelled since it is it's own entity and not connected to the caster which would normally have to be dispelled for the summon to unsummon.

Vincent07

Nope, doesn't work that way.  Gate only looks for the spell affecting you, doesn't matter what the spell itself is doing.  And that's only for the Balor/PitFiend versions.  If they were unbound, you would know, because they'd try to murder you.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel