Main Menu

Favorite underrated anime

Started by onivel, Apr 25, 2016, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onivel

I'm not talkng well known stuff like DBZ, Attack on Titan and SAO.

Something a little less known.

For me that one is " The Scrapped Princess ".

Beautiful art, interesting characters, great soundtrack, a moving story and an atypical endiing.

I definitely recommend giving it a look.

Here is an AMV featuring scenes from the anime.

" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

ladybug

Princess Tutu. Fantastic use of classical music, and it's far more interesting than the title suggests.

ETA: AMV does not contain classical music. >_>

SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

onivel

Good one both in anime and amv choice. I have this video in my anime dance list actually. My kids love to dance to this.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

valiea987

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!

This show is so amazing. When they were making the main series, Full Metal Panic, they had all these opportunities to turn it into a funny, joking anime... Instead, they gathered all those ideas together and made them into a series. In this show, the main character is a seemingly emotionless soldier living undercover and going to high school to protect a girl who is one of the main characters in the main series. While there, his military training and single minded focus is juxtaposed against people in their everyday lives, solving problem like a suspicious hair next to his shoe locker by detonating it with C4 just in case the hair was from a terrorist trying to assassinate him... In a high school.

The show is full of laughs, and I can't recommend it enough. I don't know much about anime... So I don't really know if this is like a super popular one, but I haven't really heard any of my gamer/anime fan friends talk about it before, so hopefully it fits!

ladybug

Freaking love Fumoffu.

Another good one: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Slacker joins the army just in time for war to be declared and accidentally earns command of a ship.

SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Fire Wraith

Gintama.

www.crunchyroll.com/gintama/episode-1-you-guys-do-you-even-have-a-gintama-part-1-510074

Part serious story, part nonsense. Part action, part drama, part comedy, part satire on numerous other anime shows, video games, tropes, and so on. A historical Samurai period piece, but with all the modern (and even futuristic) technology, that manages to make perfect sense nonetheless.

Put another way, this is a show that can make an episode about nothing but eating Sukiyaki, and make it completely epic and awesome just because of the characters.

A lot of people panic at the huge number of episodes, but they're all good and worth watching. The show alternates between standalone episodes and longer story-arcs that span multiple episodes, but even the "filler" is amazing.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

onivel

Both very good ones. I have ICT on DVD at home :)

The wifey won't let me blow too much on Anime DVDs, but it is one of the few series I do own. the short list is:

Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi in Tokyo, Mai Hime, Fate/Stay and Fate/Zero, Martian Successor Nadesico, Sacred Blacksmith, Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, and the Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Edition.

There are so many more I'd love to own when cash permits.

Fire Wraith

Onivel: Have you see the Rebuild of Evangelion movies? Or perhaps this: www.500type-eva.jp/en/  (I got to ride on it :D  )

Also, another recommendation:

www.crunchyroll.com/aldnoahzero

It's very Gundam-esque, so if you like that, give it a try.

Incidentally, you know you can just watch tons of stuff for free on ad-supported sites like crunchyroll or funimation, or just sign up for a subscription (like with Netflix but cheaper). Makes it really easy when you can get all-you-can-watch Anime, including the newest stuff from Japan on simulcast for like $7 a month.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Kymus

Sasameki Koto (aka Whispered Words)

It only ran for one season, but the manga continued to completion. It's such a lovely love story (shoujo-ai, girls love), though perhaps complicated. My Anime List describes it as:

Murasame Sumika is popular in the high school for her excellence in the marks and sports. However, she has a secret: she is in love with her classmate Kazama Ushio. Ushio also has a liking to the love between girls, but she hasn't noticed Sumika's feeling and always been refused by other girls.

Really, it's about a boyish girl who is secretly in love with her best friend. Her best friend likes girly girls and has a crush on this magazine model, but the magazine model is actually a boy, and he has a crush on the boyish girl. Part comedy, part romance. I really loved it.

onivel

Fire Wraith Avatar
Onivel: Have you see the Rebuild of Evangelion movies? Or perhaps this: www.500type-eva.jp/en/  (I got to ride on it :D        )

Also, another recommendation:

www.crunchyroll.com/aldnoahzero

It's very Gundam-esque, so if you like that, give it a try.

Incidentally, you know you can just watch tons of stuff for free on ad-supported sites like crunchyroll or funimation, or just sign up for a subscription (like with Netflix but cheaper). Makes it really easy when you can get all-you-can-watch Anime, including the newest stuff from Japan on simulcast for like $7 a month.

Yeah I know... I do like to own them though. I have seen a few of the different versions of Evangelion (though I cant say I have seen them all). And yes, NetFlix and Crunchyroll are beautiful things. I've gone through Fairytail and Soul Eater that way with my daughter. She is now a self proclaimed anime Otaku. Attack on Ttitan, Hetalia and Ouran Host Club are her current flavors. She is completely obsessed with Death the Kid from Soul Eater, and she dressed as Mikasa from Attack on Titan for the Steel City Comicon that we attended last Saturday.

Needless to say.. most of her allowance gets spent at Hot Topic.

Fire Wraith

It would probably be cruel of me to mention that I went to Universal Studios Japan, and saw the Attack on Titan - the Real exhibit and show? ;)

onivel

NICE ...  I'll just have to not let her read that little post there. ;)

Edge

I feel old. I remember when she was born.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Deleted

And click-killed people in the client.

Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow