Main Menu

Sneak Attack

Started by goodapollo, Jun 06, 2014, 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodapollo

What qualifies as a sneak attack for classes like Arcane Trickster? Can I get it with invisible blade, assassin, or divine seeker, or is it just rogue?
While I'm at it, is it possible for the spellsword class to channel spells into ranged weapons?
Double edit: Spellswords! Can you channel spells from items, onto weapons? Sorry, I've got a concept brewing in my head and am trying to work it out.

The Red Mage

It works the same as it does for rogue. Invisible blade doesn't get sneak attacks. Assassin is the same but death attack, which functions identically to sneak attack. Divine seeker, I'm not sure, but I think that class is restricted at the moment due to some of the aspects not functioning.

goodapollo

I guess if they're not directly called sneak attack, it wont work.

What about the spellsword bit? If I cast a spell on a weapon using a scroll, does it trigger channel spell?

Atomic Twinkie

I don't believe it does.

Garage Trashcan

Channel spell doesn't really work at all, I'm pretty sure. So you can't even channel normal spells.

AT should technically work with Assassin levels, but it doesn't. It's most efficient to just take the rogue levels.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

jamaisvu

The Red Mage Avatar
It works the same as it does for rogue. Invisible blade doesn't get sneak attacks. Assassin is the same but death attack, which functions identically to sneak attack. Divine seeker, I'm not sure, but I think that class is restricted at the moment due to some of the aspects not functioning.
Actually, Invisible Blade does get sneak attacks - The 'Dagger Sneak Attack' is, mechanically, Improved Sneak Attack. Idk if it works without the base 'sneak attack' you can get from rogue or blackguard, but there's apparently a bug wherein Assassins can choose this feat and it won't work with their Death Attack unless they have sneak attack from BG or rogue.

goodapollo

Uhoh. If it's improved sneak attack, I don't think it'll work for non-rogues who take the class.
I mean, maybe they could normal sneaks leto'd in instead.

Edit: Channel spell doesn't work? Are you sure?

Vincent07

Arcane Trickster pretty much requires you take Rogue and Wizard to meet the requirements. The other PrCs that get sneak boosts, get them via either Improved Sneak or Blackguard Sneak, so that they'll stack up.

Spellsword:  Channel Spell works on a melee weapon, and only with certain spells.  Usually it has to be a single target damage spell.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

goodapollo

Ahhh. Well, invisible blades without rogue or BG levels are in for a surprise, I guess- Fairly certain it wont work without those, since it's improved sneak.

Garage Trashcan

goodapollo Avatar
Ahhh. Well, invisible blades without rogue or BG levels are in for a surprise, I guess- Fairly certain it wont work without those, since it's improved sneak.
You can take Improved Sneak Attack as an assassin with just Death Attack. I've done it before. The pre-reqs specifically state either Sneak attack or Death Attack. 
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

jamaisvu

You may want to check if the Death Attack's damage roll is raised, then, since according to nwnwikia, there's a bug with 1.66 that makes the feat selectable as an assassin, but not actually do anything. I dunno if that's changed here, though. 

Vincent07

We're on the last official patch, 1.69
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

goodapollo

Apparently it's confirmed as not functioning as of .69, but it will only be a problem for invisible blades without a single rogue level.