Main Menu

Teleport/Revive Tokens

Started by , Jun 27, 2015, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valimar Dragonbane

Yeah, that teleport stone is abused.  Should it cost the lowbies coin?  I don't think it should.

The whole raise dead thing?  I feel like that's been beat to death in the 10+ years this game has been around.  Would enforcing some sort of mechanical side effect make death mean something?  I don't know.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Fire Wraith

Mechanics based 'death' in NWN honestly should probably just be considered a KO rather than "death", because it happens way too fast in many instances. The PNP rules it's based on allow you time to react to things that in a computer game happen in real time. Tabletop comes down to initiative and choices, whereas in NWN you have to realize that something is happening, click the buttons, and then see the response take place with an overall delay of several rounds (most likely).

This would require a lot of editing though to make it appear that way 100% in the client, which we've never really taken the time to. The bleeding/death system code we use could be rejiggered to allow more leeway, but at the moment probably isn't lenient enough? Maybe we should look at that, mostly toning down the "ignore bleeding because of massive damage" type stuff.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Fire Wraith

As a note about whether death "means anything", I think back to a game I played once where you lost a 1/3rd of a point of CON every death (or, lost a point of CON every 3 deaths). If your CON hit 3 you were permadead, no ressurection possible. For reference, default Tabletop is 1 con per death.

Most people on CD would be permadead ten times over before even coming close to epic level at that rate. :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Darvins

goodapollo Avatar
I've seen the 'death needs to mean more' option on two dozen servers and I've never seen a method proposed that didn't make death meaningful for the person proposing it without either alienating everyone else or, most important for me: having a 'get out of the game crashing/lagging/justplainbeingabuggy10yearoldmess' card for when no force on earth could have stopped you from getting instagibbed during a thunderstorm or some nonsense.

Also I just don't care for it on a visceral level, like, who cares? You make it cost money? People will go farm. XP? Farm. Whatever change is made will be irrelevant in a week.
More I tend to find it discourages exploring 'Well we could go try this place out, take a gamble but.... yeah the cost' I like CD's because it discourages gaming the system, you can't die respawn and rush back, because if you do, it starts hurting but you don't lose too much if you take a punt, die and return to Arabel. This is especially nice in the early hours when not many folks are on, you can try that place out, and if you die? Well 30 mins sitting around is a small price to pay. Be very annoying if you made death 'meaningful' against the machine.

Of course all this flies out the window with Plot line deaths  but I havn't seen them treated cheaply too often, most people seem to realise the difference between death from dungeons and death by plot.

suddenperihelion

Valimar Dragonbane Avatar
The whole raise dead thing?  I feel like that's been beat to death in the 10+ years this game has been around.  Would enforcing some sort of mechanical side effect make death mean something?  I don't know.
Pretty much this. I feel like there's a "beating a dead horse" joke to be made here.

valiea987

I just treat it like a KO. Adventurer's get punched too hard, they fall over, knocked out, and then Steve the Selunite Acolyte shows up to bring them to the recovery ward in Arabel. Might find some gold missing... Well, you had to pay your medical bills, right? :)

If you want to make death sting on this server, make it cost RP XP. But that might just be so much a sting people would be scared to do anything.

I mean, the Raise Dead spell isn't even like the Raise Dead spell in P&P. Raise Dead should take a solid minute to cast, as it is a bit of a ritual. Resurrection is 10 minutes. NWN just restricts it down to a single round to cast for the sake of gameplay. Going down the rabbit hole of making it more accurate, you have stuff like the HD drain part of Raise Dead being completely permanent. If the game is going to cut down things for ease of play/logic, I think it is fine the server does the same and consider mechanical death just a knock out.

goodapollo

You show me a pnp DM that makes you sit there roleplaying waving your hands over someone for a solid ten minutes and I'll show you a pnp dm way more concerned with how Rules Abiding Hardcore they are than the fun their players are having.

valiea987

I think most DMs would skip forward 10 minutes and say "The casting is done". But because it takes 10 minutes, you can't just do that in the middle of combat. In NWN, you can. The rules are bent for the sake of it being a video game. Stuff is removed, stuff is added. So I don't see it being that much of a leap to just say mechanical NWN death is a knock out, and Raise Dead is basically a "Get up!" spell.

If there's a real RP death, then I think the DM should make you have to have 10 minutes available to cast Resurrection, or 1 minute to cast Raise Dead. If it is just someone getting knocked out, then it would make sense you could easily get them up in combat.            

Edge

suddenperihelion Avatar
Valimar Dragonbane Avatar
Pretty much this. I feel like there's a "beating a dead horse" joke to be made here.
Well there was, but then we cast raise dead on the horse.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Voice of Kerensky

One thing I despise about punishing death more/making it cost more/etc. aside from the argument about bugs/lag/OOC factors leading to your doom:

Punishing death more means, somewhat ironically, punishing the people who don't powerbuild and/or who just aren't good at NWN combat more. And while CD is a little heavy on the build optimization due to somewhat challenging dungeon design, there are still plenty of "RP build" characters out there, or at least flavorful ones. These are typically the people/characters that'll die first in a dungeon group, and have a harder time soloing.

Even for someone like me, who plays "optimized flavorful builds", this poses a problem--for example, my character Erynelleth. I would never use two-bladed sword on a WM if the server punished death harder, as it is insanely more efficient to save a feat, grab a 1h martial equivalent like short sword, sword and board when there's risk and dual wield when focusing on DPS is safe. Sticking with her style as an IC choice/flavor option sometimes means more dying and more risk, as a nature of horribly balanced 3e/NWN mechanics, and I don't know if I would do it if death were punished harder.

Regarding the TP stones, I think these are primarily useful as an OOC/time saver factor and would leave them alone. Some dungeons have an end of dungeon exit that works and some don't, some are really awkward to run through backwards again, and not to mention it just saves time where people could be getting back to Arabel and RPing after a dungeon instead of spending another 5-20 minutes focused on clicking around a dead dungeon. It also helps for those late night excursions where you go to the middle of nowhere with a friend, particularly if said friend is a mage and teleports you, then you RP until you're exhausted and wake up the next day in the middle of nowhere.

And personally, it's saved my ass from being OOCly stuck/bugged numerous times lately.

While I understand and agree with cutting down on the free travel options a bit, the TP stone only brings you back to the server's RP center and lets people get to their RP faster, or saves them from bad OOC situations. I'd say leave it alone and focus on other options.

Wittle Dreamer

psappho Avatar
One thing I despise about punishing death more/making it cost more/etc. aside from the argument about bugs/lag/OOC factors leading to your doom:

Punishing death more means, somewhat ironically, punishing the people who don't powerbuild and/or who just aren't good at NWN combat more. And while CD is a little heavy on the build optimization due to somewhat challenging dungeon design, there are still plenty of "RP build" characters out there, or at least flavorful ones. These are typically the people/characters that'll die first in a dungeon group, and have a harder time soloing.

Even for someone like me, who plays "optimized flavorful builds", this poses a problem--for example, my character Erynelleth. I would never use two-bladed sword on a WM if the server punished death harder, as it is insanely more efficient to save a feat, grab a 1h martial equivalent like short sword, sword and board when there's risk and dual wield when focusing on DPS is safe. Sticking with her style as an IC choice/flavor option sometimes means more dying and more risk, as a nature of horribly balanced 3e/NWN mechanics, and I don't know if I would do it if death were punished harder.

Regarding the TP stones, I think these are primarily useful as an OOC/time saver factor and would leave them alone. Some dungeons have an end of dungeon exit that works and some don't, some are really awkward to run through backwards again, and not to mention it just saves time where people could be getting back to Arabel and RPing after a dungeon instead of spending another 5-20 minutes focused on clicking around a dead dungeon. It also helps for those late night excursions where you go to the middle of nowhere with a friend, particularly if said friend is a mage and teleports you, then you RP until you're exhausted and wake up the next day in the middle of nowhere.

And personally, it's saved my ass from being OOCly stuck/bugged numerous times lately.

While I understand and agree with cutting down on the free travel options a bit, the TP stone only brings you back to the server's RP center and lets people get to their RP faster, or saves them from bad OOC situations. I'd say leave it alone and focus on other options.
I totally agree with this.

Darvins

Wittle Dreamer Avatar
psappho Avatar

I totally agree with this.
+2 yeah in the end, having a easier way back to the central gathering area of the server is fine with me. RP it as you spend time walking sure, and arrive back at Arabel, or whatever, but... yeah just seems a pointless change that also assumes characters are all rich, not all are, even high level ones. Caine was perpetually poor, needing loans from his 'Sister in law' to pay for Rae's spending habits

Mystic Warden

+3 on the "leave it as it is" opinion.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords