Main Menu

Trying to play some again

Started by morwen, Nov 11, 2018, 07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morwen

I wanted to play again, since I got this Beamdog version on Steam. Is there some way to get access to my gaggle of characters or do I need to begin totally fresh. This version has a slightly different feel to it and I guess my steam ID is now my 'nick'?

Edge

Welcome back. Unfortunately, there's going to be a problem with that.

EE is basically a new patch to the game, like in the past when Bioware was still doing updates. As such, the two are not compatible - you can't play on an EE server with a patch 1.69 game or vice versa.

CD has not yet updated to EE. As such, if you want to play here again, you'll need to install an older version of the game, from the original discs or from GOG, and patch up to 1.69.

Once we do update to EE there will likely be a big announcement thread as well as instructions for how to handle the transition with regards to new vaults, old characters, etc.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Morwee!  EE is new, regular GOG version is what we use.

morwen

uh oh- I donated all those discs to FreeGeek-a worthy cause- (https://www.freegeek.org) this summer. Plus I don't have a computer that would run that old program! I'll have to hang loose. Thanks for the reply!

Edge

We'll see you then hopefully =) Unfortunately I can't give an ETA on when the update will be, or even at what stage of the process we're at right now - one of the big hurdles is that EE pretty much requires the server be hosted on a Linux machine and we're currently hosted on a Windows one, and FW and Vincent are still working on learning their way around Linux and getting a box properly set up to host the server.

We'll keep you posted as best we're able. =)
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

morwen

Linux- that is odd that would be necessary! Are my old chaeracters deleted or sitting in a vault someplace on an old thumb drive? :D

I think GOG might have a digital copy of NWN, and working CD keys, right?

Edge

All your characters are still in the server vault in your GSID folder where they've always been. We don't delete inactive players' vaults. =)

Nokteronoth

GoG copies work on Windows 10 once you get the Critical Rebuild patch as per SOP. They also finally added a key generator, so that you can change it and not get the "YOU ARE BANNED" message with the default key they install with.

NWN:EE on GoG does have a copy of NWN Diamond that gets added to your account. do you have an account? If so I could get you a copy if you want to play with us all again.

~BR

morwen

I'm still on a mac. Once this one wears out, I may move onto something more universal. Apple started bugging me when the employees of Foxconn started throwing themselves out the windows.

ALSO! Thanks for saving all our old toons

lurkerabove

Oh! You're on a Mac, this is easy.

You can run NWN 1.69 using Crossover from codeweavers.com

You'll have to DL the Windows installer for 1.69 from your GoG account, but once you do, Crossover's setup assistant is pretty much step by step to run it. If you have an issue, PM me with your Discord handle and I'll walk you through it. :)

morwen

I had always used the old gamespy account and never had had to deal with GoG. I don't have a windows emulator installed at the moment. Maybe I can work that magic on my laptop. OR wait. OR something! Anyway, if people here want to fine me on discord, I'm lazycat1984#6019

Nokteronoth

We have a whole server Discord, if you'd like to join!

discord.gg/ZNbPpA

~BR

morwen

ooh thanks- I didn't catch the link before it expired. Maybe hit me again.

Nokteronoth

There's a permanent link here! (Sticky on the top of the General forum.)

forums.cormyrdalelands.com/index.php?topic=6463

~BR