Main Menu

Divinity Original Sin: new old-school CRPG!

Started by Nymera, Jul 01, 2014, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nymera

This game isn't exactly a NWN replacement, as the coop multiplayer only supports two people right now...but it's amazing if you want an RPG like they used to make!  Just came out yesterday, and it's a blast.  Also comes with a toolset, in this day and age!

Ogre Time Yay

Yeah, I have it too, been watching the patch updates and improvements for awhile on it and it really does look like it shaped up to be something. I only played a little of it so far, but that was when the game was in it's earlier stages and may not have been as fleshed out, it was still pretty solid when I played it though. I'll have to start up another game in it soon.

There were a few things I wasn't a fan of in the game, small things of course, but still somewhat annoying. I hate that there are only pre-set portraits for characters, making it so your portrait could look nothing like the character you made, and I hate that (from when I played it at least) that character customization is so small, most of the time my characters look like the exact same person with just a different hair style. Another thing I wasn't a fan of was the music... The music got old really fast...

Aside from that the combat is challenging, that's a plus, I like that you have to take advantage of team work and strategy to stand a chance in a fight. A favorite features of mine is how your team can either grow hateful of each other, have a "harmless" rivalry, or be really good friends depending on choices you make. It's also pretty cool that you can pick up anything and use the environment to control things around you, like using a barrel of water to put out fire. Aside from appearance customization of your character, customization stats and feat wise offers alot and even a little bit of a role play aspect with feats like "Demon", which sort of turns you into a demon in the way that fire no longer harms you, but you are alot weaker to water attacks.

Now that this is brought up, kind of excited to give it another shot to see how much the game improved.

Nymera

I won't lie, I reeeeeeally hope they allow importing multiplayer characters and a server client.   The engine is so capaple of being a new NWN.

We'll see just how moddable it is in the next couple months!

Garage Trashcan

"Profound character creation."

"Unrivaled Co-Op Multiplayer."

I saw this game a few months ago and it looked good, just not something I think I can sink my teeth into, and there's already too many games coming out this fall for me to buy anything more. (Smash Bros DS, Pokemon Ruby remake, DA3 ugh, and Boderlands 1.5)

Considering its turnbased, I don't see this translating to an NWN stand-in. For small groups with your friends, sure, it could be really great (and definitely something that would interest me). In large groups, combat would take forever, especially with those less confident in their combat abilities.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Ogre Time Yay

You use to be truly and completely displeased with this games create a character mode... Until I created a Zangief and Mike Haggar duo... Then I forgave it a little...

Still, for a game that boasts "Profound character creation.", the character creation is really pretty poor... I know that's a minor detail, but it's hard for me to get over that. I like that they added voice choices to the characters at least... As of now though the game seems like more of a pass time kind of game, and not really a Neverwinter Nights successor.

Ogre Time Yay

I have been playing this game more, and I gotta say... It has so much potential to be a great game, but there's alot holding it back. Since it has been fully released now, no telling how much of that is gonna be remedied by the developer. Basic items aren't pointed out, so you might find yourself doing alot of back tracking. I'm personally not a fan of the level up system that offers a point per level, making it so that you have to level up numerous times before actually improving your character, since most skills usually cost more than one point (might get better as the game progresses). The create character system isn't nearly as good as advertised - with no choices of body type, which wouldn't be so bad if the male character didn't have a default, freakishly buff to the point of looking cartoony look. There isn't an option to import custom portraits, most NPCs have the same exact voice, character movement is really slow (maybe because I'm use to how fast characters move on NWN), and I actually became tired of reading the dialogue from NPCs I chose to talk to because many of them said the same exact thing.

The good that I noticed, the artstyle of the animated paintings during scenes are superb, the role play between party members is very well done, and the combat... The combat in this game is really where it is at. If it wasn't for the combat in this game, I might have given up on this game quickly.

This game is a nice game to play when you just feel like burning time, but don't expect something masterful.
I'll keep playing and point out anything else I find.

darthweasel

The original Divinity was pretty damn good I know.