Main Menu

Assassins and traps

Started by modronlove, Jan 28, 2015, 10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

modronlove

I like that traps of a certain difficulty can only be removed by rogues, but I'm wondering if that can be expanded to include assassins?  It is a class skill for them, after all.  

Nokteronoth

I thought Assassins could disarm them, but not Search for them like Rogues could? (IE, Rogue and assassin both can Disarm, but only Rogue can Search for them over DC 35)

Might be wrong on that, Bela's the first character in 10+ years that's done traps for me.

~BR

Valimar Dragonbane

I thought they could too, but most of my assassins have had their start as rogues.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Edge

Nokteronoth Avatar
I thought Assassins could disarm them, but not Search for them like Rogues could? (IE, Rogue and assassin both can Disarm, but only Rogue can Search for them over DC 35)

Might be wrong on that, Bela's the first character in 10+ years that's done traps for me.

~BR
Other way around. Anyone can Search for traps, but you have to have at least one level of Rogue to disarm them above a certain DC.

As to the question: I don't believe this can be changed, as I think that is a core coding mechanism of NWN itself.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

modronlove

Huh, you know in all these years I have never known it was a default NWN thing.  All this time I thought it was something implemented here at CD.  Not sure why I had that idea.  In any case, too bad.

Edge

Nope, it's definitely not something we added.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Nokteronoth

Special: Rogue is the only class capable of disarming traps with a DC of 35 or greater. With 5 or more ranks in the set trap skill a character gets a +2 synergy bonus on disable trap checks.

The official description has an error. Any class can disarm a DC 35 trap. Rogue is the only class capable of disarming traps with a DC greater than 35.
I'll be damned, the normal Trap article is written badly though.

Check: Detecting a trap is an opposed test, pitting the character's search check against a difficulty class equal to the set trap skill check, plus the strength of the trap. Only rogues may detect traps with a DC greater than 35.

However, from the Search page on NWN Wiki it seems to be that you can only detect a trap with a Search check of over 35 if you're a rogue, too.

Relevant Link as to how to remove the DC 35 limitation. It's hardcoded, and can't be changed, sadly.

~BR

modronlove

Interesting thought:  could an assassin craft and set a trap with a difficulty so high he himself could neither spot it or disarm it?   "Uhhh, guys?  Watch your step.....I'm not sure where I set that up."
Party: wait, what?  Didn't you make that trap?
Assassin: yessss
Party: and you literally just one second ago set it up on the floor, I mean we watched you.
Assassin: that's also a yessssss
Party: well how in the nine hells can you not find it now? How is that even possible?
Assassin: because I'm that awesome, that's how!

Nokteronoth

That would be hilarious. Though you can automatically spot any trap you place, and you can disarm any trap because it changes the Disarm DC for you.

~BR

modronlove

Ya, I thought that was the case.  Still, it was a funny thought.

aceheart

This and the fact they have more skillpoints are one of the few things the rogue class has, compared to SD and assassin.

Vincent07

Interesting note though.  Even though non-rogues cannot disable traps over DC 35, they can reclaim them if they can make the check.  Assuming the trap can be reclaimed that is.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

nightmother

I always found this odd myself, not that I've done much trap disarming on this server. On previous servers, I brought it up, but they couldn't give me an answer on why my 20 levels of assassin couldn't disable traps that a fighter with 3 rogue levels too tumble/UMD dump and the odd skill points could with gear. Now that I know it's hard coded, makes me want too kick nwn in the ass for such a stupid, unfixable mistake :P

Vincent07

It's because in PnP, only a Rogue can disarm specific traps.  I understand why they did it, but I wish they'd left a switch in classes.2da to allow us to set other classes as trap capable.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel